Point and Shoot Recommendations

Chris.Blaschke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know, no real photographer admits to using a point ans shoot. I guess that makes me an unreal photographer I guess.
Here is the deal. I ride motorcycles. Both street and offroad. I like to carry a camera with me to snap photos of scenery, bikes, people or anything else that I happen to see along the way. I currently use our old Olympus for this duty. It normally works fine. Although it is large to carry in a pocket of my riding jackets.

So I am in search of the perfect point and shoot. Ideal camera would have the following features.

1) Weatherproof or water/dust resistant.
2) Viewfinder as opposed to just a lcd
3) 3-4x optical zoom
4) Image stabilization
5) ISO adjustablilty
6) Video capability
7) Tripod mountable

So far the viewfinder seems to be the biggest limitation. I guess people would rather look at the LCD. There are some situations where LCD's just don't work well. Bright light being the primary one.

I know I am new here. I realize it is slightly rude to just jump on a new forum and start picking people's brains. I apologize for that.

I just returned from a motorcycle trip where I captured approximately 85 images on my Olympus. Now, I can't retrieve the images off of the memory card. I can view them on the camera but if I put the memory card in a reader it appears blank. If I plug the camera in and attempt to access the card, it appears blank. I have long since lost my Camedia software. I think it was on an old computer that was given away. So I have decided to start researching this so I can give my lovely Wife a specific idea when she asks me what I want for my upcoming birthday, anniversary and Christmas.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I know, no real photographer admits to using a point ans shoot. I guess that makes me an unreal photographer I guess.

Don't listen to that junk.... photographer takes pictures with whatever tools fit them. There are some well known professional photographers known to use P&S cameras. The point is to have fun too.

Here is the deal. I ride motorcycles. Both street and offroad. I like to carry a camera with me to snap photos of scenery, bikes, people or anything else that I happen to see along the way. I currently use our old Olympus for this duty. It normally works fine. Although it is large to carry in a pocket of my riding jackets.

So I am in search of the perfect point and shoot. Ideal camera would have the following features.

1) Weatherproof or water/dust resistant.
2) Viewfinder as opposed to just a lcd
3) 3-4x optical zoom
4) Image stabilization
5) ISO adjustablilty
6) Video capability
7) Tripod mountable

Which Olympus do you currently have?
Price range?
Are the features listed in priority order?
Why don't you buy the latest version of the Olympus camera?

#2 and #1 are going to be the two features that narrow down your selection. As for #1 (weather proof) this writeup might be a starting point for your research assuming you haven't already found it.

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

My wife has an early model waterproof shockproof model from Olympus. She loves it and likes that she can hand it over to our 2 year old to snap a few pictures without any worry of breakage. IQ wise it is not up to par to my preferences but then again, it is her camera not mine. I figure for christmas, I might buy her the latest and greatest version of the same series.

Which Olympus do you currently have?

Olympus Camedia C-3030

Price range?

I would like to keep it under $300.00

Are the features listed in priority order?

The number one priority is the viewfinder.
The rest are nice to haves with Image stabilization/Weatherproofness being the next most important.

Why don't you buy the latest version of the Olympus camera?

I just started looking and I might. I just thought I would see what people with more experience thought.

i use a point and shoot from time to time, why not. they are handy, in the pocket light.

i have been using a nikon cool pix but will be upgrading to something newer shortly as the coolpix is older and i don't care for the noise level.

I recently got an olympus E-pen that i use as a point and shoot but in reality it isn't consider to be one as it is a 4-3 camera with interchangeable lens but it is small and a terrific camera, but it will not fit your price range.

If viewfinder is the most important, you are looking at the a few high end and several super zooms. Unfortunately, a viewfinder has been one of the features that has been slowly disappearing...

My first recommendation will be for a high end P&S, Canon G series. The previous generation, the G10, was an excellent camera. I haven't tried the latest version, G11, but I'm sure it will live up to name (unlike the G7). However, this is going to be the highest level P&S in the canon line and probably will be pushing past your budget. In the same time period, Canon also released a superzoom that has a viewfinder is the Powershot SX10 IS. I haven't tried this specific model but I was impressed with previous SX series cameras.

Perhaps others will chime in on a viewfinder equipped P&S for under $300. Unfortunately, at that price range many of the manufacturers have left the viewfinder of the feature list.

You can purchase a very nice and waterproof tank bag for less than $100, line it with foam if you feel necessary and your all set.

You can purchase a very nice and waterproof tank bag for less than $100, line it with foam if you feel necessary and your all set.

Most of the time I wear my Aerostitch Roadcrafter. I carry it in my left pocket for easy access. I have a waterproof tankbag. I don't use it much because it is a big as a house. But to put the camera in there requires too much effort to retrieve the camera and take a picture. I know, sounds like I am lazy. But if I was going to carry it in the tank bag, I would probably take the DSLR.

Good suggestion though.

A used canon G9 and a zip-loc sounds like it would fit the bill nicely.

I have an Aerostitch myself, and applaud your choice in protective clothing. I'm a believer in ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time). I'd never so much as ride to the mailbox without my Aerostitch.

Most reactions

Back