Point 'n Shoot advice...

DepthAfield

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Might anyone be able to suggest a quality sub-compact point ‘n shoot? I have enough digital and film SLR equipment to choke a hungry Clydesdale, but there are times when hauling that gear around simply isn’t possible.

I’m looking for something that can be easily pocketed and delivers well above average resolution. Wide zoom capabilities would be nice, but I would prefer premium optics over magnification.

Thoughts from the membership would be appreciated.

Well, my stepdad has a Canon Powershot A350 (I think)...haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but it seemed to do the trick quite well for family shots as well as your basic landscape/architecture pieces.

I'll see if I can take a look at theirs tommorrow, see if that is their camera (the pictures look similar), and then try it out and let you know :)

I've heard good things about the Fuji f11 or something like that. High ISO range, but it might not be compact enough.

The Lumix series apparently have glass made by Leica, but it might just be licensed out or something. They do a pretty small compact

When I hear point-and-shoot, I think of the older film cameras that had a single focal length (usually 35mm), and no manual control. All you could do is point and shoot, which is where the name comes from. Disposable film cameras would be a great example.

It sounds like you are looking for a compact camera. There are a lot of modern, small cameras that give you a lot of features, manual control, and decent resolution.

I know that usage of the term P&S seems to be changing, and SLR gets used wrong a lot too, but I think it's important to make the disctinction.

We bought a Canon A75 for just that purpose. We got it used off e-bay for under $100 and it was a great camera (until my youngest son dropped it :lmao: ) for just random shooting in places I didn't want our better gear (i.e at the pool or beach). My first digital camera was a Canon G1 and the results were fantastic for the price. If you don't mind used I would check around for any Canon's G series :D

Most reactions

Back