Point n Shoot to First DSLR

spmakwana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Folks,

Currently I'm using Nikon coolpix L110, a good point and shoot camera. Now I want to go for DSLR.
I've read tons of reviews about many camera and lens on many websites. Finally I've narrow my search with 2 option of Nikon DSLR.

I'm not professional photographer but a passionate photographer. My level is batter then armature.
I have a good knowledge of shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc. and I'm able to shoot in Manual mode.
Mostly I like to shoot Landscape, Close up of Flowers, Leaves, or small insects and some times architecture (buildings at streets), and least interested in portrait of human being. Also like to shoot HDR sometime.

My first option is
1) Nikon D3100 Only Body + 18-105 mm VR
2) Nikon D5100 with 18-55 mm Kit lens.
And I'm not going to buy any other lens in short future. So please don't suggest to buy any other lens.
And I'll buy some extension tube to shoot macro.

Please suggest which option is batter for me, and why?
D3100 is good camera cheaper then D5100 and I can buy 18-105mm lens that will provide me long range focal length
Where as D5100 is very pretty camera with sensor comes with High end D7000, but it is costly and I can only buy 18-55mm lens with it.

Please share your opinion and suggest with me with my choices.

Thank you in advance.

I would get the Nikon D5100! It's the camera I have and I love it! :) You can check out my full review and recommendation on Epinions.

Take a read of this:

Nikon D5100 vs D3100 vs D7000 -Which One to Buy

That might help you a bit.

The two bodies are quite similar, without vast differences. From the options you listed, I would invest the extra cash into that 18-105mm VR and go with the D3100. At this point, I think the the 18-105mm will give you more of what you need to do than the 18-55mm pairing with the D5100. Since you didn't mention anything about videography concerns, then I'd, again, recommend you go with the D3100.

Take a read of this:

Nikon D5100 vs D3100 vs D7000 -Which One to Buy

That might help you a bit.

The two bodies are quite similar, without vast differences. From the options you listed, I would invest the extra cash into that 18-105mm VR and go with the D3100. At this point, I think the the 18-105mm will give you more of what you need to do than the 18-55mm pairing with the D5100. Since you didn't mention anything about videography concerns, then I'd, again, recommend you go with the D3100.

I'm not at all interested in videography, all i want is to take photos and more photos. Photos of Landscape, Close up of Flowers, Leaves, or small insects and some times architecture (buildings at streets), least interested in portrait of human being. Also like to shoot HDR and Panorama

I would get the Nikon D5100! It's the camera I have and I love it! :) You can check out my full review and recommendation on Epinions.

Very help full review there, but still have a confusion which to buy, because 18-105mm lens will provide me more flexibility. But d5100 have good features like exposure brackating and have a sensor from D7000. But D5100 worth the extra money that it cost then D3100?

What about the Image quality difference between D3100 and D5100?

I also like D5100 but I have a one question why not to go for D3100? It also can do almost everything that D5100 can do. I don't want that some sketchy effect and all that. I like to shoot pure photos and HDRs.

Last edited:
I'd go with the 3100 and the 18-105. I think you'd rather have the length than the (from my understanding) small increase in IQ.

I would get the D5100 body and the 18-105 both refurbished. I have the D5100 and it hasn't let me down!

I owned the d5100 for a few months and became dissatisfied with it quickly. Replaced it with a d7000 and have been really happy since. I'd recommend the d7000 for a passionate photographer like you who enjoys shooting in manual mode. But if you must choose between what you narrowed it down to, I'd go with the d3100 with the more versatile glass, unless you're prepared to invest some money into lenses soon.

Get the D5100, much better in low ISO

I owned the d5100 for a few months and became dissatisfied with it quickly. Replaced it with a d7000 and have been really happy since. I'd recommend the d7000 for a passionate photographer like you who enjoys shooting in manual mode. But if you must choose between what you narrowed it down to, I'd go with the d3100 with the more versatile glass, unless you're prepared to invest some money into lenses soon.

D7000 is awesome DSLR but it is way out of my budget and I can't afford it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back