Point of concerning about lens characteristics

IronMaskDuval

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So what's the point of worrying about things like contrast and so forth if you can adjust in post? I'm curious since I only use old lenses now, and many of the renown ones are equal on sharpness but not on contrast. Just curious.

Any editing done in post removes data. Less data = lower image quality.

Contrast also helps the AutoFocus system to operate quickly and accurately.

I had a Nikon lens in the past which is a highly used lens with good characteristics.
But it had a contrast issue, which made it not so good for sports that had busy backgrounds as it would want to focus on the higher contrast item in the frame, which usually wasn't the person the Single Focus point was on.

So what's the point of worrying about things like contrast and so forth if you can adjust in post? I'm curious since I only use old lenses now, and many of the renown ones are equal on sharpness but not on contrast. Just curious.

It doesn't work that way.

What lenses are you talking about ?

AFAIK old lenses dont necessarily lack in respect to contrast ?

What lenses are you talking about ?

AFAIK old lenses dont necessarily lack in respect to contrast ?
Exactly,
this discussion has to be to a specific lens to a specific camera body.

My old Nikon 75-300 AF was a great lens on a D70. It was pretty good on a d7000.
but when I used it on my d600 it was like WTF image-wise.

it just could not resolve detail for higher density sensors even though technically the d7000 was higher density than the d600. Something from decades ago just wasn't designed for today's technology (in this example). The 75-300 images seemed like it had permanent haze filters stacked on the front, like shooting through a fog and expecting a detailed shot. All I know is after some brief testing I sold the lens. At that time, I also knew nothing about fine focus adjustments - but it was the "haze" that was distracting.

So one has to ask which lens, to which camera body (sensor) to have more specifics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back