POINT OF VIEWS ""

umm...all i wanted to say was i liked how the lines led to the barn in the first shot. i also like the perspective because its not so low that you feel as if youre fallen on the ground, and not so high that you feel like a giant: it feels as if im trekking back after a long day of...sledding or moose hunting or the like

the subject could be more interesting, but nothing comes to the top of my head when it comes to things that look natural in the snow during winter. it might be because i live in seattle, and i usually have to go somewhere else to find the white white powder

final thought:
retaining the detail in the snow while not underexposing was done very well

I didn't take it personal. I comment as a person so it sounds like it is sometimes when it isn't. I hope it makes me more human and less arrogant sounding. Though trust me I am arrogant.

The bones of my reply was. even a first time shooter has an eye and sometimes that's all it takes.

I listen to everyone then let the image tell me who is right and who is wrong. I base it on my own basic belief system and experience. So a newcomer to photography or to this forem might have that one thing to say which changes how I see the image.

That was the case tonight actually though I don't know how new or how experienced the commentator was. What it did was set my mind to working, looking for an answer and it came finally.

My basic camera philosophy is different from everyone else which is fine, but what I didn't do was use my own photo philosophy to my advantage. I don't think I did the image wrong but what I did do was go to the wrong place on the wrong day and choose the wrong subject for the circumstances. I used my way of thinking as an excuse to be lazy. So now I'll try to remember the lesson next time. As far as I know, it didn't come from an old timer or someone on this forum forever. He/she might be but I don't think so cause it wasn't some technical trick us old guys like to toss around it was a simple, wrong time for this image to be made, kind of thing.

If we just had a banana in here then everything could be sorted out ...

oh, and actually, i like the second image composition wise, i do not think it is !too cluttered" ... I do not care if I am the only one, or one of many... just this is my personal feeling toward this image. of course, purely subjective.

Hi John... you don't learn from lurking... the feet gotta get wet!!

I also believe that beginner/ amateur/ and pro is nothing more then a title..

I have been shooting a lot of years, and still learning today.. went from 35mm to medium format and now digital.. you always learn..

one important thing in learning is still pen and pencil/ even though cameras now keep that info stored, its good to write your own notes.. its also good to not give up on a shot, until you feel good about it.. in other words when starting out, get the feedback, weed thru it/ and re shoot.. always good to shoot subjects near to home for this purpose.. if you shoot a subject, your not happy, learn and continue to reshoot it until happy.. to many people starting out scatter there shots and don't take the time to nail one..

ive done a fair amount of getting my feet wet in the sense that i shoot and practice almost every day. i just dont post as many images as i probably should.

what i meant by lurk, is i read a lot of threads here to see the pictures people post, and the opinions people give about them. this gives me ideas on how to work with similiar shots i want to try, and when i see the same things in others shots that i see in mine, it goves me an idea if theyre good or not, and usually how to correct the things that arent so good. i dont have a lot of equipment, so im trying to work with what i have, and reading how other people use similiar equipment as me helps.

i do however plan on posting some shots ive taken recently very soon. until just a few days ago, i havent had the time to go through them all to choose a few to post.

lately i have been making a lot of notes on my shots. someone else had suggested that to me when i first signed up here, but i never took the advice until i met a couple people where i live that again suggested it, and described in detail how it had helped them. since following that advice, i have noticed that when i go through the notes on the shots that didnt work out as i had hoped, and then i figure out why, i can go back, reshoot, and get a much more acceptable shot. ill admit i was guilty of "scattering" my shots, basically trying to get lucky with one instead of shooting, looking over the shot, going over what went wrong, and going back and shooting it again with a better, more thought out plan. now when i go out, i can look through my notes and find some that were shot under similiar conditions and it gives me a better idea of how to shoot what i plan on shooting when i go out, especially when i cant go back and reshoot. i still dont "nail" as many as i would like, but i get a lot closer than i used to, and i keep getting a little better every time. as long as im still learning and improving, im happy to get a good shot or 2 out of every 50 i shoot. i know that number will eventually get higher and higher and thats what i look forward to, and its a far cry better than getting one shot out of 300 like i was before i joined here and committed myself to learning more.

Most reactions

Back