Point & shoot technique?

earthmanbuck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up a Ricoh R1 a little while ago and just got back my first roll from it. I'm a little disappointed with how out of focus everything seemed to be. I wasn't expecting to be blown away, I know it's not a very high quality camera—but I have seen other people get pretty sharp shots with it.

It's entirely possible I have one that has an autofocus problem, but I am realizing I have actually had this problem with every other P&S I've shot with, so now I'm wondering if maybe I just don't know how to use them properly. Is there some trick to getting clear shots with point and shoots?

All my little point & shoots are thrift store rescues. The odd one has had a rough life and just don't work that well so focus and exposures, especially focus can be hit and miss. Biggest focus problem that I have run across is caused by me pushing the shutter button too fast to allow the auto stuff to complete its wizardry. Only had one Ricoh, forget the model, and sadly it was broken so out it went. Most gave decent results, given what they were designed to do. Had focus problems with an Olympus Stylus zoom 105 a while back. May have been poor subjects for a p&s, shot sample below, not much for the auto stuff to get a read on. Just reload and have another go.

OS105-1-007e1s.jpg

Their AF sensors nearly all required a little time to set focus, way more than any DSLR. There were some exceptionally quick and positive AF systems like Ricoh's that made their GR series cameras something special relative to the focus hunting common among the competition.

Post 3 has given much the same answer I was. I had /still have a few p&s cameras they will let me take the picture even if not in focus. The delay is as said above
It’s not quite press button go away have a three course meal and liquor but it’s close,#in photography time#

You made a point on technique.

I am going to use a metaphor from the firearms world.
Don't jerk the trigger.

I too have had this issue with my higher end cameras as well. The one thing with P&S is that they are made for the average Joe who typically has little desire or intent on shooting tack sharp award winning images with $15,000 setups.

The P&S is for Aunt May and Uncle Bob on their trip to Orlando and Epcot Center.

BUT, they are also not slouches on lens capacity, just not engineered to the higher levels. They can still perform and I have actually seen award winning shots with P&S and even disposables.

The one issue I have had and even today still have at times is pushing the button too hard, moving too fast and camera holding technique.

Look to see if your holding the camera at odd angles or positions. Then following the previous metaphor... "breath, relax, look, shoot..."

Also a note on focus.....if you have 2 subjects in the frame and the middle of the 2 is clear some PnS cameras have a center point based focus system. Focus on the subject and then recompose the shot or the background will be in focus and the subjects will be out of focus.

This is my P&S technique:

1. Point
2. Shoot

Understanding the camera's AF system and knowing its operational quirks and habits is of primary importance. For about a decade my point and shoot was the Canon A1,the waterproof single focal length lens model with the 38 mm Lens.(Not the A-1, the A1.)

My first year of using it was not nearly as successful as my last 9 years.

Thanks for the advice, all—I suspect I probably do need to use it a little more “trigger style” and not move for a good second or so on either side of hitting the shutter.

Most reactions

Back