Pointers for outdoors portrait for beginner?

alvintran1998

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've offered one of my friends a free outdoors photo session in about a week, mainly to improve my photography skills and give me experience in this field. This won't be my first time doing outdoor portrait, but it'll be my first time with something on the line and with a real client. Other times, its just me shooting family members for fun, and they don't expect high photo quality, but this time will be. So any advice or pointers would be great.
About what values for ISO, SP, and A should I have for an overcast day? What time and condition is the best? Will I be okay with just using natural light [and a reflector]? How should I pose the subject for a flattering look? (The subject lost a leg, and wear a fake leg, so I'm not sure if I should hide, or showcase it, and how to make it appealing and flattering). And any other tip would be greatly appreciated.
I'll be using a SONY HX200V, not a DSLR, but has worked great for me in the past with manual control.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

About what values for ISO, SP, and A should I have for an overcast day?
I'd use as low an ISO as I can use to get a proper exposure, or a little higher if I need the room to expose to the right (as long as the dynamic range is suitable and I'm planning on doing a bit of editing). Shutter Speed I'd keep around 1/125 but you might get away with slower if its a posed shot, and don't go below 1/focal length. Apetuer will depend on what you want to do, but generally wide apetures are best for portraits so use a dof calculator to make sure your subject is in acceptable focus

What time and condition is the best?
usually mornings or evenings

Will I be okay with just using natural light [and a reflector]?
No, plan on using some fill flash. If you don't need it on the day then fine, but have the capability to use it if you need it

How should I pose the subject for a flattering look? (The subject lost a leg, and wear a fake leg, so I'm not sure if I should hide, or showcase it, and how to make it appealing and flattering).
ask your friend. But as a default position I wouldn't try to hide it. Look at some other portrait shots to find some poses you like and do some of them. Avoid having them square on to the camera though, it tends to look flat

And any other tip would be greatly appreciated. [/QUOTE]
If you want more background blur, but are stuck with a lens that is not very fast (like f4 or 5.6) then creating a large distance between your subject from the background and/or using a longer focal length can increase oof blur

I'll agree with some flash fill. Sometimes, a little bit, even on a bright day is helpful, especially if your subject is back-lit.

Fill-flash can be good if used well (preferably off-camera with a large light modifier) but isn't necessary.

If there's direct sunlight find shade (e.g. under the edge of a tree or in the shadow of a building); if there's really no suitable shade, shoot into the sun and make sure you expose for their face. If you're shooting into the sun - that's when you really start to need fill-flash or a reflector.

Most of the natural light will be coming from above, so using a reflector below to fill in the shadows helps create a more flattering image. A white wall can be a great natural reflector if you position yourself and your subject appropriately.

Keep your distance - shooting close-up makes parts of the body closest to the lens appear relatively larger. Try to pick a focal length that creates a working distance of 5 metres or more.

Regarding the leg - try to take both types of shot (minimising and showcasing), deliver both, and let them choose which to use. Or if you have a good rapport, just ask them which they prefer.

Give your subject some advice on what to wear for the shoot. Generally - long sleeves, avoiding whites, blacks and strong colours or busy patterns, gives most flattering results.

weepete has covered the camera settings well above.

I would say that instead of necessarily needing fill flash, you might want some fill light. That could come from a flash or you could use reflector(s) instead. Reflectors work well with outdoor shoots to add nicely diffused light when used properly. They can also be used to diffuse existing light if necessary.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0008299/article/Picture-taking-techniques---Outdoor-portraits-Part-I
http://www.adorama.com/alc/category/Portraits-and-People
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/05/17/how-to-use-a-reflector-to-control-natural-light/

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/using-fill-flash-outdoor-portraits-informal-word-style-key

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your client understands you're an amateur. Sign a contract. Use the lowest ISO that gives you the aperture you desire. Shutter speed is of little relevance as long as it reduces camera shake. Other than that, no advice given here will adequately teach you what you need to know. Sure, evening light is great, but that doesn't tell you how to use or control it. Reflectors are great, but only if you know how to use them. Sure, flash is awesome, but that doesn't tell you how to use or control it. Any specific advice I might give may not apply to your situation. Posing is its own art form and cannot be adequately summarized in a forum post. There are dozens of quality books and videos on these topics. Make the client aware you're practicing. Study techniques and continue practicing.

Most reactions

Back