Pointing to Heaven

MommyOf4Boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I admire these crosses every time I venture into Baton Rouge to go shopping and decided it was time I photograph them... <SCREAMING!!!! OMG Can someone please move these to the critique forum so that I can get help on how to get these photos right. I am having the hardest time with this new Digital SLR and then working with them in PS>

crosses1.jpg

crosses2.jpg

Love the composition of the first one alot! Nice photos... love the blue sky!

Sara, tell us what you think is still wrong and where you want help. Then I move it to Critique for that specific help, OK?
(composition, saturation, framing, exposure, lighting, focus...)

One thing that is not as such wrong but does not help is the compression. When you convert something to jpg it looks at gradients withing a picture and then converts a region with a gradient to a certain value. With flesh tones it is very good because the conversion puts a high priority on compressing these colours as the are usually the important bit of the picture. However if the picture is a near solid non flesh colour the compression system is not very faithfull and tends to make it get nasty jpegging artifacts, so when you compress a file like this with beautiful single colour skys you have to turn the compression quality up to avoid it getting corrupted, making it look grainy even when it is not, you can see a lot of it near the ground on the second pic. Otherwise i think that the subject matter is very difficult to get a good compasition on and you have done well. I wouldnt really know how to approch this subject and would probably be tempted to do something nasty like get right under it with a fish eye or wide angle, but then it would be a totally different pic :).

tim

Excellent. The comp in the first shot is right on. I wonder what it would look like in B & W.

tpe said:
One thing that is not as such wrong but does not help is the compression.
Quoted for Emphasis

Are you saving the jpegs with quality at least 10? If not, do.

They could also use a bit of sharpening. (100%, .5 px should be good)

That being said...I love the first one, simple, yet effective.

Most reactions

Back