Pointless to submit a photo if no chance to win?

Green Tea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new posting here, but I've already benefitted a lot from reading on these forums.

I've recently bought a Fuji Finepix SLR like, and I'm trying my hand at photography.

What's your opinion: should one submit photos or wait till they're good enough to have a chance to win?

Which competitions are you thinking of entering? I guess it depends on whether you are likely to get any feedback as to whether it's worthwhile, but you're never likely to know if you have something the judges like unless you try.

Sorry, I meant entering the monthly challenges on TPF!

Failing to try is worse than trying and failing....

At MOST it would only take a few minutes to submit. Not like you lose anything by doing it....

Go ahead and enter!! It's anonymous, it's fun, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Submitting work is so much fun! You never know what you'll win and what comments or critiques you might get. If anything you might get some good advice.

I Have to admit I've not entered the TPF comps either, but I do enter a couple of others around the place on occasion. I Know I'm not going to win, but I just like showing off some of my nicer pics, and it gives me a chance to compare them side-to-side with some other photographers I admire, and see what I can do to improve.

Also, as others have said, it also gives people a chance to provide you with feedback, and even if you don't win, positive comments and critique are great motivators for you to keep trying! Similarly, I Put pics on my deviantart gallery primarily for friends back home to see, but having complete strangers give positive comments is a bit of an ego boost, and a motivator to keep trying :)

never up , never in

Thank you all for the encouraging replies. I've submitted a photo for the March 08 Challenge. Simplicity is one of the themes I like to photograph, so I couldn't resist.:)

Most reactions

Back