Polarized Filter

mcopan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.triumphentertainment.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking at buying a 50mm f1.8 from a guy. He has a polarized circular filter for sale too. I googled the filter and saw many examples of it use.

Is there any recommendations or pro/cons to using them?

There are a lot of pros. I would make sure it's a multi-coated one. If not, and it's cheap you could try it. The cheaper ones can degrade IQ and cause lens flare.

• You can deepen the blue in the skies, at 90 degrees to the sun for strongest effect. Asjustable by rotating the front of the filter. This can help the clouds stand out.
  • Reduce glare and reflections from non-metal surfaces (water, glass, etc)
  • Provides some additional saturation of colors and improved contrast (depending on the light on the scene).
  • A con may be that it reduces light to the camera by roughly 1 - 1/3 stops. This may be a benefit depending on your situation.
  • More info: Choosing a Camera Lens Filter

The only con, IMO, is that they steal some light, so I wouldn't use it when shooting in lower light and when you need faster shutter speeds. And I guess a con would be that it could negatively affect image quality (as any filter can), which is why you want a good quality one.

I use a circular polarizing filter anytime I'm shooting landscapes or even outdoor portraits etc.

I always have my filter on my wide angle lens. I have my 50mm for indoor and low light, and the wide angle is for outside only.

They are great and can really make the sky in pictures pop.

Most reactions

Back