Polarizer Lens or hood, what I am confused. Help!

If your limited to $20 get a hood (A Chinese knock of should be fine as long as it's designed for your lens). A hood works to reduce flare without any knowledge or tweaking on your part, and protects your lens from knocks.
A polarizer can improve many of your shots if used correctly, but ideally you want to spend a bit more on one.
In the long run you'll want both.

Perhaps you also have confused a UV filter with lens hoods. Many folks recommend the uv filter to protect the lens vs a lens hood which can provide some protection as well.

There are very long threads debating which should be used to provide protection , just goggle this site and you will have more information than you need . As an aside, modern digital cameras really don't need a uv filer these days as it is built into the camera, so they now sell clear glass filters for those who wish to use that type of filter.

Alarm bells are going off: A 58mm B+W slim-line polarizing filter for under twenty US dollars??? As in, $96 below list price??? Something seems amiss with that offer, it TRULY sounds wayyy too good to be true.

B+W is one of the premier filter brands...I can NOT believe a genuine B+W polarizer can be sold for under $20 new. No way.

That whey I posed that link, I've been looking at them and this seemed to good! But I kinda want to buy it just to see how it is!;)

You must understand that a polarizer won't automatically work 100% of the time. You have to understand how to use it:

Great video! Thanks for posting!

If your limited to $20 get a hood (A Chinese knock of should be fine as long as it's designed for your lens). A hood works to reduce flare without any knowledge or tweaking on your part, and protects your lens from knocks.
A polarizer can improve many of your shots if used correctly, but ideally you want to spend a bit more on one.
In the long run you'll want both.

Is there any design that is better than others?

Perhaps you also have confused a UV filter with lens hoods. Many folks recommend the uv filter to protect the lens vs a lens hood which can provide some protection as well.

There are very long threads debating which should be used to provide protection , just goggle this site and you will have more information than you need . As an aside, modern digital cameras really don't need a uv filer these days as it is built into the camera, so they now sell clear glass filters for those who wish to use that type of filter.

Nope! I'm thinking Polarizer.
Good of you to ask, I'm new to this and I mess up a lot!LOL

A circular polarizer (and make sure it is a "circular" polarizer and not a "linear" polarizer or sometimes called "top" polarizer) is the one filter that probably every photographer who is even remotely serious about good outdoor photos should own.

But some cheap polarizers can add a color cast and do wonky things to your photos. There is a difference between a good polarizer and a cheap polarizer. Top brands are B+W, Hoya's "Pro1" series, and in the square slide-in form factors both Lee filters and Sing-Ray filters have excellent reputations as well (although I'm not sure Singh-Ray actually makes a circular polarizer).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

If you buy those filters, you might not be able to use the hoods while they are on, and you won't be able to use lens caps either. The slim-lines are not threaded at both ends.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you buy those filters, you might not be able to use the hoods while they are on, and you won't be able to use lens caps either. The slim-lines are not threaded at both ends.

Yes I read that on the review, but it's the only descent looking filter I can afford!LOL
Thanks for pointing it out!:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back