Polarizer trouble

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I have a cracked polarizer stuck on my 100 mm prime lens. I have tried to unscrew it to no avail and now I'm paranoid that anything I do is going to mess with that beautiful glass. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might remove this without damaging anything else? OMG I really hope I don't have to send this back to the factory. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dylan said:
I have a cracked polarizer stuck on my 100 mm prime lens. I have tried to unscrew it to no avail and now I'm paranoid that anything I do is going to mess with that beautiful glass. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might remove this without damaging anything else? OMG I really hope I don't have to send this back to the factory. Thanks in advance for the help.
Dylan, in hardware stores you can get special oil intended to loosen up (too) tightly screwed (metal) objects.
If that doesn't work, as a last resort you can stand the lens ON the polarizer filter in a very shallow puddle of Coca-Cola – yes: Coca-Cola – so shallow that the level of the coke is a fraction higher than the offending screw thread*. Leave to soak for a couple hours. Then carefully take the lens/filter combo out of the coke and unscrew the polarizer filter.

*Be extremely careful with the Coca-Cola: take great care that no coke gets onto any other part of the lens except the very front, the filter thread!

Don't forget to clean the filter thread on your cam very carefully afterwards!
Don't take anymore chances with that polarizer filter: trash it and get a new one!

thank you for the advice. So are we talking about 3 in 1 household oil or is there a specific brand I need? Very interesting thing about the coke. Sounds like you have had this happen before.

while I dont have any experience with filters being stuck, as a do it yourself mechanic I always use liquid wrench. It like WD-40 made with oils that wont damage plastics or anything like that.

I've also heard of attaching a UV filter to the stuck filter tightly and then when you loosen the UV the stuck filter comes with it. I cant comment on that. You could always go at it the tough way with the blade of a hack saw. use it (hand held, dont use the handle of the saw) to cut enough of the filter ring off so that you can pry it the rest of the way off with your fingernail or a screwdriver and linen. for the screw driver you cover the head in a thin cloth to keep the metal from contacting (scratching) whatever you are prying from.

Not sure how much use these ideas will be for on camera work, but for cars it works wonders.

Dylan said:
So are we talking about 3 in 1 household oil
No. We're talking 'special purpose oil'.
or is there a specific brand I need?
Dunno about brands. The brand don't matter, the purpose does: loosening screw threads. Ask the hardware store.

go to a proper photography shop where they have those filter wrenches .. no need to buy one yourself.

Torus34 said:
A filter wrench, noted by tempra above, is a much safer bet than messing around with liquids.
Absolutely, That's why I said 'as a last resort'... :wink:

Before you start messing with oils and wrenches. Try to find a thick rubber band and put it around the filter. Than try to unscrew manualy.

The rubber band trick worked like a charm. No damage to the lens and all is good (except now I'm out a polarizer). Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back