Polarizer troubles

AdamBomb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, haven't been around too much lately. I set my camera down for awhile, and all of a sudden... it's exciting again!

Anyways, I picked up a cheap ($20) SunPak Circular Polarizer from BB and on the way home I pulled over and I decided to snap a few photos of my truck. I've noticed a consistency in a slight blurriness. I'm shooting with my Nifty 50, I could have swore the AF hit right on the headlights. What's going on?

F1.8, ISO200, 1/1000

4234367675_7e86f6a75d_b.jpg

4234395911_8914bfbaca_b.jpg

4234397137_2d1e1f7b0f_b.jpg

On the last shot the right front tire looks sharp to me, but my eyes are pretty old. Shooting at a mid aperture usually gives the best results for a given lens and would make your point of focus less critical, but you will loose some of the nice soft background bokeh.

Take the same shots with the CP on and off and compare.
Hard to say without a comparison.

Are these on a tripod or hand held?

Well that is why I never buy cheap filters. The one you got there is probably made of polycarbonite. The good filters are made of optical glass that is ground flat, tested and, coated. The one you have maybe off enough that it threw off the AF. It is like shooting through multiple NDs and, needing to focus manually.

I think Manual focus is going to have to be the solution with this lens. I managed to catch these with the polarizer on as well, thought they turned out well...

4235127608_08657de85d_b.jpg

4235129362_3ee8b83b6e_b.jpg

amazing photos by the way. i just had to comment for those photos haha. but yup, probably because its a cheap filter and its throwing off AF! $20 for a CP is way too good to be true...

i also love your user name... hahaha... do you... wear the brand "The Hundreds" by any chance?

Haha, No but I may have to buy a tee or few from them now! :lol: :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back