polarizers

fightheheathens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my question is simple, i've looked up on line pro's and con's of both but i want your thoughts on the matter.

Circular vs. Linier polarizer? which do i get. my price range is 30-50 bucks and im going to end up getting a cokin polarizer probably so i can use it with my filter system. Though i could get a different brand and i could still use my filters, i just think that i might get some vinigeting with my wide angle that way.

Anyway, do both linier and circular obtain the same effect, why would i want one over the other, and which is used for what?

If it varies by what you shoot, then tell me please what each one would be used for as far as shots.

I have used the search on the forum, but the other topics on this werent to helpful, i think...
anywho, i have a manual focus camera, so i dont need one over the other. im just looking for what provides the best effect. (and if there are any super good brands let me know)

thanks alot :)

luminous landscape said:
Circular Vs. Linear Polarizers

There are two types of polarizing filters available — linear or circular. Linear polarizers are more effective and less expensive than circular ones. But circular polarizers are needed with just about any camera that has a through-the-lens metering system, or autofocus.

The reason for this is that both of these systems use semi-silvered mirrors to siphon off some of the light coming though the lens. If that light is linearly polarized it renders either the metering or the autofocus ineffective. This means that you're going to have to buy circular polarizers unless you're shooting with a pre-1970's camera, or a view camera.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml

I shoot with circular polarizers. Digi Matt's link offers a great explanation of polarizers but in a nut shell, It removes blue reflection from everything. The most noticable color that comes alive is brown. Without making the use of a polorizer an excersize in geometry, you simply rotate the polarizer on your lens while looking through the viewfinder until something brown or close to looks rich in color and you've got it.

If you are shooting with a zoom lens, definitely get the circular polarizer. It will give you a clearer image around the edges. Even if you are using a standard lens, it is recommended to use a circular one because it gives a sharper image.

Linear and Circular polarizers both produce similar effects, but Linear can, sometimes, appear stronger.

In general, if you have an auto-focus camera, and/or rely on in-camera metering, then you should use a circular polarizer, as linear ones can confuse metering and auto-focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back