bobandcar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Start off with I am no pro.

Need to make a decision by the end of the week for a polarizer filter.
I know cheaper is not better and expensive is not affordable.
Looking at Bh found a few in the $50ish range that are getting good reviews.
http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/detail?R=23446_REG&title=77mm+Linear+Polarizer+Glass+Filter
This one seems decent but not sure.

If anyone can tell me there recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.
Trying to not go to much above 60 or so.

Also what are you using and quick review?

That one is decent, however it is a linear polarizer. Assuming you're using a relatively modern, auto-focus camera, it may not be suitable. Generally speaking, most auto-focus systems need circular polarizers (don't worry about the physics, just know that they produce the same effect, but by different means) to work properly. In your budget, the multi-coated Tiffen or Hoya lines are decent. Check out your local Craig's List and see if anyone is selling something a little better; Heliopan, B+W, Rodenstock, Lee, or Singh-Ray. Used gear saves a LOT of money!

You may find this interesting... Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com There is a summary of results on page 4... some interesting stuff.

I have this one Amazon.com: B+W 77mm XS-Pro Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating: Electronics

It works very well... gives a lot of control over reflections I want to remove, does a very nice job of enhancing colors, doesn't seem to throw any color casts that I have noticed, no noticeable loss in IQ, and is very well built.

Whatever you get, try to get a multi-coated filter of decent quality... it is worth it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great reading. I like equations!!

That slim number 4 looks like a winner unless I find something else

Good! I am glad you found it helpful!

Any issues with grabbing the thin version? I got fat fingers

I prefer the thin versions. It is difficult to adjust with a hood on... but nothing else I can think of...

Yea.. makes you wonder! That is the bad thing about reviews... you seldom know the background and experience level of the reviewer. Also, when trying to "save" money, you sometimes have to compromise. Amazon's return policy is excellent... buy #4.. test it for a couple of days, and then return it if you don't like it.

Personally I would not buy #4.. but that was the best "tested" option I knew of in your price range. I would consider #2 as a option though...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What would be your reasoning to go with 2

Primarily that #2 distinctly says Multi-Coated .. the other one doesn't. Multi-coated filters will perform far better than non multi-coated filters. The coatings are one of the reasons the better filters are better, and more expensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back