Polaroid, anyone?

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Who in here uses a instant Polaroid camera? For what purpose? I´ve seen a lot of them. Any recommendable? I basically have no clue so please school me :confused:

i use a polaroid camera and i like to use it for on the go shots.
i have a sun 600 and that camera never misses a shot.
also, the pictures always look very warm. i have no clue why but they always have this sunny day look to them.night shots with the polaroid are also great. they're very contrasty.
but i have only used the sun 600...i know they make some other ones that are the same style but are named differently and i've seen some of the shots the new ones take and they dont have that classic look to them.
i bought mine in a thrift store which might explain the look to the photos.

Is there something like a dpreview for those polaroids? I am really interested in the differences..

Terri is very knowledgeable about such things... perhaps send her a PM about it. My last foray into polaroid was with land cameras which have a distinctive look, but didn't reward me with particularly exciting results!

Rob

I have the SX-70 Land camera in my collection. Don't really use it for much but I do love the unique look of the pictures it produces. My uncle introduced me to polaroid many moons ago and I found them very interesting. It was only until 3 months ago did I run into this nice example and decided to purchase it for a few bucks.... Unfortunately, polaroid has stopped production on the film as of this year ( didn't know at the time). Once I use my one last pack, it will just sit in my cabinet looking pretty. I can modify it for 600 film packs but it just doesn't seem to be worth it at this point.

Really sad actually... its a really nice looking camera with a lot of engineering put behind it.. Nice leather and stainless steel body... with a unique shape.

130985790.jpg

Who´s Terri and how do i reach her? What are land cameras? I tried to google some infos on that..

duelinthedeep said:
there is still film made for that camera but its not quite cheap.

If you are thinking polaroid still makes the film, you are mistaken:

http://www.polaroid.com/sx70/en/index.html

Ever since that announcement, everybody is selling the last of their stock including polaroid. This limited supply and increased demand has driven the prices of film packs way up high. All the artists doing polaroid manipulations are very concerned that this might signal the end of their art form. Thats unless someone else picks up where polaroid left off ( rumors of fuji flm might.. )

sincere said:
Who´s Terri and how do i reach her? What are land cameras? I tried to google some infos on that..
Terri died recently; an unfortunate encounter with a rake. An extremely clumsy girl. :roll: I'm just a cheap imitation, but no one seems to have noticed. :thumbup:

I'm thinking your best bet with Polaroids these days are the 600 series cameras. The film is widely available and there are several models to choose from.

I have a pair of SX-70 Land cameras similar to the one shown above that are also on the threshold of becoming quaint relics. If Fuji is going to pick up where Polaroid left off with Time Zero film, I would indeed be among the P-freaks who would line up to give it a try. ;) I'll believe it when I see it, though. :)

duelinthedeep said:
how different are the pictures of an SX-70 from a 600?

i dont think i've ever seen an SX-70 shot:confused:
The SX-70 Land cameras accepted Time Zero film only (although you could/can modify it to accept 600 film, but it wasn't designed for it and the different film speeds must be compensated for).

Time Zero film, shortly to go off the market, boasted a unique emulsion that stayed "soft" for a few days after the exposure - and artist/freaks learned to manipulate it into images that went from normal to Impressionistic. The loss of the film means the loss of this technique, and there has been much howling and gnashing of teeth over this.

Here's one of mine from a couple summers back, to give you an idea of the technique:

584-shipsx70.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

Ive just seen this POLAROID 600SE 600 SE + MAMIYA lens. Is this an instant camera where i can put different lenses on? Is there also film i can buy for this? WHatabout flash?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back