Polaroid Transfers

Well, here goes the first post. The land cameras that use the pull apart film run in price from$15-$30 (plus shipping on EBay $5-15). Ouch! What I did was call my older relatives and asked if they had any of my grandfather's cameras, I got three the next week. Only one worked. Now your also going to need a battery for the camera #A19PX (it's the replacement for the old 531). These you can get on ebay I've only found one person(ebay ID-- mdbattery) who sells these. To find cameras and match film with those cameras try the Land List http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landhome.htm. Well, I hope that helped. As you can see I spent way too much time researching before ever getting to do a Polaroid transfer.
Also, I'm in KC and am more than willing to loan someone my camera for a day.

anyone know what kind of film a Polaroid Land Camera Automatic 100 takes

thanks

i am thinking of trying this
want to make sure i got the right stuff

thanks

Try going to the Polaroid site, or use the rwhirled link above - very informative site. :thumbup:

Just make sure you end up with a Polaroid print from 669 film, and you'll be in business. :)

How do you call ripping the developing polaroid photo and pressing it against the paper?

Seems so much easier than what you're gonna do.

If you have a genuine question regarding this technique, DocFrankenstein, please express it clearly and we will be pleased to help.

It's as genuine as it gets.

I've seen a procedure with a polaroid print in a MOVIE once. A girl had a paper diary. She took a polaroid picture of her boyfriend. While the picture was developing, the separated the top plastic layer and pressed it against the diary.

The image of her boyfriend was transferred to the paper of diary.

1) Is this a real technique?
2) How long will such a picture last?
3) How is this technique called?

Thanks

DocFrankenstein said:
It's as genuine as it gets.

I've seen a procedure with a polaroid print in a MOVIE once. A girl had a paper diary. She took a polaroid picture of her boyfriend. While the picture was developing, the separated the top plastic layer and pressed it against the diary.

The image of her boyfriend was transferred to the paper of diary.

1) Is this a real technique?
2) How long will such a picture last?
3) How is this technique called?

Thanks
To answer your last question first, it was a Polaroid image transfer, and while the image would probably last a few years being done under these casual circumstances, it's unlikely it would have much permanent archival stability.

Why? The paper used in bookbinding is seldom going to be the high quality, acid-free artist's grade paper commonly used for this technique. In addition, this was a "dry" image transfer and it's unlikely the migration of the dyes from the negative to the dry paper receptor was completely successful - regardless of the version Hollywood showed you. ;)

It's kinda cool to think about the technique popping up in a movie like this but, like high speed car chases and perfectly exploding buildings, the real technique calls for some basic steps to follow if you really want to succeed. ;)

I outlined this procedure more in depth above. See the links mentioned in this thread to the Polaroid site for a list of films, cameras and info on the transfer kit they sell (although everything can assembled at art supply amd photography stores, some find it easier to buy the kit).

Like backgammon, you can learn the technique and have successful transfers inside of an afternoon - it's how crazy you want to become by further explorations that makes it exciting. Some of us P-team geeks have images in our galleries here at TPF, if you want to study the look some more.

Hope this helps.

Sorry... I'm not that enthusiastic with polaroids just yet. WAAAAY too complicated for me.

DocFrankenstein said:
Sorry... I'm not that enthusiastic with polaroids just yet. WAAAAY too complicated for me.
I'm not surprised. ;) It's certainly not for everyone, but glad you checked it out!

I just did some Polaroid Transfers this morning in my color photo class. We used a DayLab and then used wet watercolor paper to put the image on. Soak the paper in hot water and then blot it dry. After you pull the film out of the DayLab count 10 seconds, rip the pieces apart rip off the negative part and place on the paper. Use a roller type of device for TWO minutes on the back of the negative. Make sure you roll down the edges and be careful not to let the roller pick up the negative. After the two minutes, roll back the negative and you've got your transfer.

They're so sweet. I'll scan and post them later on. I want a DayLab so bad now. *sigh*

gapinthevoid said:
I just did some Polaroid Transfers this morning in my color photo class. We used a DayLab and then used wet watercolor paper to put the image on. Soak the paper in hot water and then blot it dry. After you pull the film out of the DayLab count 10 seconds, rip the pieces apart rip off the negative part and place on the paper. Use a roller type of device for TWO minutes on the back of the negative. Make sure you roll down the edges and be careful not to let the roller pick up the negative. After the two minutes, roll back the negative and you've got your transfer.

They're so sweet. I'll scan and post them later on. I want a DayLab so bad now. *sigh*
Sounds great! :D We'll be looking forward to seeing them.

Start a new thread, I beg you, so your images can stand by themselves. ;)

Most reactions

Back