Polaroids

Yemme

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I heard someone talking about Polaroid’s. The death of Polaroid’s as they say. Some photographers still use them so is it a form that’s just dying. Or is it due to lack of sales. I’ve seen many Polaroid shots that are gorgeous. I love the grain. Does anyone here still use Polaroid’s?

I had one about 8 years ago, but I couldn't tell you what ever happened to it. I'm an "instant gratification" type of personality, and polariod filled that, but now digital does the same thing and I can have more fun with it. lol

No wasted films if the picture sucks, lots of fun photoshop options...so I can be instantly gratified AND artsy! lol

So, I have to say no, I no longer use it. It would be fun to have one just for the nostalgia factor... But have you checked the price of the film lately:stun:

Pretty much any studio photographer shooting medium format film will at least have a Polaroid back. I see them used allot in studios - especially when it's a directed set. The photographer can hand the director a print to look at, approve, and stick in his work folder.

Last edited:
We still shoot Polaroid 600 in the One Step. We even have a Polaroid wall. Also bring it to Burning Man festival and shoot a lot of portraits there. Dying is a grim way to put it because I have had a strong relationship with their products since day one. Cutting down production is the way I think of it. Only makes sense. The literally instant gratification of digi has put them in a tough spot.

Love & Bass

I still have some remaining stock of 4x5 B&W Polaroid Type 52 and 54. I like Type 52. Most of us who use Polaroid film are switching to Fuji instant film, which most of my friends prefer, or going digital. Fuji instant film isn't available in sheet form, as Polaroid was, but only in pack form, so we've all had to buy new backs. Fuji have said that they will keep their current instant films in production, but add more products.

Polaroid were the only producers of 4x5 and 8x10 instant sheet film, and the only producers of instant film that was designed to produce a positive as well as a negative (Type 55 etc). Type 55 has something of a cult following.

Best,
Helen

We still shoot Polaroid 600 in the One Step. We even have a Polaroid wall. Also bring it to Burning Man festival and shoot a lot of portraits there. Dying is a grim way to put it because I have had a strong relationship with their products since day one. Cutting down production is the way I think of it. Only makes sense. The literally instant gratification of digi has put them in a tough spot.

Love & Bass
I really hope to get to one of the Burning Man festivals one year. You have always made it sound like such a singular experience.

Craig, they are not cutting down production; it is over for Polaroid instant films.

To the OP: I've done Polaroid manipulations for many years, with the smaller pack format, the 4x5 sheets and also used the square Time Zero until it was discontinued a couple years back.

Like many people, I grew up with Polaroid all around me and still have several prints that look beautiful despite their age. Aside from that strong sentimental tug, I've grown to fully appreciate how unique the various emulsion formulas were/are. I've always loved the look.

I've never been a commercial photographer so I've no use for digital cameras, and the loss of having Polaroid as another outlet for simple, creative pleasure has been a severe, heartfelt blow. It is unlikely we'll see anything like it again.

I have a small stash in my darkroom fridge of Type 59, 79 and 55, and some expired Time Zero. When it's gone, it's all over for me and Polaroid!

So Polaroid’s will soon be extinct :( wow. The first persons work that I saw who used Polaroid’s was Lucas Samaras. I liked how he manipulated the image while it was wet. So sad it’s all over for Polaroid. Is film next????

Really.. what do you think?

Last edited:
I just started shooting 4x5 P/N 55 sheets and I love it. I'm looking to buy more. But not until I get the holder figured out first. You'd think I could read the instructions and follow the directions and get it right. First time beginner's luck. Tries 2-8, neg/print packet hangs up with lever depressed. I have to put tension on the emulsion to cause enough tension for it to come out. Or it hangs up on the roller. WHen it does make it out, the developer does not spread evenly. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those Polaroid film backs have their own personality. Good luck!!!!

:lol:Too funny...

Sorry to hear the bad news ChrisW... I'm sure you'll be a pro in no time.

So Polaroid’s will soon be extinct :( wow. The first persons work that I saw who used Polaroid’s was Lucas Samaras. I liked how he manipulated the image while it was wet. So sad it’s all over for Polaroid. Is film next????

Really.. what do you think?

No, film overall is not next, there are a lot of factors that keep film going strong, so there is no time in the forseeable future when film truely dies.

Poleroid however was their own down fall, they where the ones who started the whole "see it now" thing wich later evolved into the digital advantage, so despite having two poleroid onesteps I won't shead a tear for them. Besides they are staying afloat with their little digicams sales anyways so....

No, film overall is not next, there are a lot of factors that keep film going strong, so there is no time in the forseeable future when film truely dies.

Poleroid however was their own down fall, they where the ones who started the whole "see it now" thing wich later evolved into the digital advantage, so despite having two poleroid onesteps I won't shead a tear for them. Besides they are staying afloat with their little digicams sales anyways so....

Battou, I like film more than digital... (Even though I like instant gratification) I feel more like a creator. I don’t know if that makes sense. I’m trying to trust myself and build my confidence using film. I’m not there yet but one day. Thank you for answering my question. Oh I forgot... slapamonkey,NY?????

ChrisW, I know you’re a professional hun… and one day you’ll rule polaroid’s. Have you posted any polaroid’s on the forum yet? If you haven’t, please do!

Battou, I like film more than digital... (Even though I like instant gratification) I feel more like a creator. I don’t know if that makes sense. I’m trying to trust myself and build my confidence using film. I’m not there yet but one day. Thank you for answering my question.
I shoot film almost exclusively so I understand that in full

Oh I forgot... slapamonkey,NY?????

Local slang for Salamanca NY

Most reactions

Back