Police Car photos ?

After reading throught this thread, there is one thing I was thinking about that nobody has touched on yet (maybe I missed it). I know the OP is more about the car, so I will include this in my hypothetical situation:

I realize the chances are slim, but what if you are out in public doing some street photography, and happen upon a bust by a plainclothes/undercover officer (maybe even making the bust near his un-marked car), and you photograph it. Even the media won't publish UC officers for protection of their identitiy. You are approached and demanded that the photos are deleted for this reason. Technically, you still have every right to take that photo, but they now have a security concern.

Techincally, the two people on trial were not found guilty, but that's another thread. It was more the statement than the person. I was just giving credit to where it came from rather than trying to pass it off as my own saying. The sentiment of the statement remains the same.

I'm a certified Police Officer through Georgia POST and my last assigment was with a CALEA certified Police Department.

You can not defend my freedom by trampling on my freedom. Don't bother responding. I'm not interested.

After reading throught this thread, there is one thing I was thinking about that nobody has touched on yet (maybe I missed it). I know the OP is more about the car, so I will include this in my hypothetical situation:

I realize the chances are slim, but what if you are out in public doing some street photography, and happen upon a bust by a plainclothes/undercover officer (maybe even making the bust near his un-marked car), and you photograph it. Even the media won't publish UC officers for protection of their identitiy. You are approached and demanded that the photos are deleted for this reason. Technically, you still have every right to take that photo, but they now have a security concern.

If he ASKS, I would delete it. If he DEMANDS, I would keep it.

It is perfectly legal to take photos of Police officers, firefighters, etc and their respective vehicles, but don't be an A$$ hole or you will be treated as such.

A couple months ago there was a major building fire and the police had a major road completely closed( Hanley road just north of Manchester, If you know st. Louis). The news crews had their vans about a half block outside of the police line in parking lots, I parked next to one of the news crews, grabbed my camera and walked up to the police barricade. I politely asked the officer If I could walk further down the street to get some shots. He looked down the street, then back at me and said "sure you can go down the the 3rd streetlight." I snapped a few shots of the building and of the firefighters at work, thanked the officers and was on my way.

I doubt an officer would break their cover over a street photographer. If You looked extremely suspicious, You might become a person of interest, but you would probably never know it until the investigation was finished:D, again HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

it's the Dusty's of the world that ruin it for all photographers.

What if you had to deal with a Duty every day of your life.....lol

I wouldn't try and photograph anything on a military installation. If you've entered the federal property, you have most likely (every base I've ever been on) passed a sign stating all kinds of rules, which usually end in your implied agreement if you continue on base. Among those rules is the prohibiting of photography on the installation.
I have conducted exercises focused on the apprehension of folks taking photos on base. For those who take photos from off the installation, looking in, I can say that you're more then likely going to have some company.

For those who take photos from off the installation, looking in, I can say that you're more then likely going to have some company.

Even then, legally, I don't think they can do much more than ask you to leave... (If they can even do that.)

If you're standing on public property, anything you can see is fair game, IMO.

For those who take photos from off the installation, looking in, I can say that you're more then likely going to have some company.

Even then, legally, I don't think they can do much more than ask you to leave... (If they can even do that.)

If you're standing on public property, anything you can see is fair game, IMO.
Well, I wont pretend to know the specifics of the civilian laws regarding this, but I would imagine if it's posted on the perimeter that photography is prohibited then you might be in a gray area. Its probably more of an issue of what you are photographing, but then again most of the good stuff will not be visible from a fence.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters what's posted on the perimeter - we're talking about shooting from the "safe" side of it. The perimeter is the perimeter... Inside that, follow the rules. Outside of that, there are no rules.

You may get questioned or something, but I don't think they could actually do anything, like make you delete pictures.

most of the good stuff will not be visible from a fence.

Exactly. Either that, or not visible while the sun is up.. ;)

Having worked in an military photo lab, I would urge you to stick to police cars. Testing the military resolve is not a good idea. Sign or no sign you might just regret that one.

I think the lessons learned from this thread are:

1) Yes, you can photograph (almost) anything you want if you are on private property. You do not have to ask permission.

2) The police have no legal authority to prohibit you from taking pics or to force you to delete pics you've already taken, but they are allowed to ask you questions. You are also free to tell them to F*&$ off.

3) A large number of police officers are ignorant of the law and/or don't care, and will enforce their will upon you, regardless of laws to the contrary, or to "show you who's boss".

4) You must weigh the risk/cost of a police officer's wrath vs. the protection of your constitutional rights. i.e., yes, the officer cannot legally stop you from taking pictures. If you piss him off, he just may throw you to the ground, break your camera, and arrest you for whatever grounds he feels like (usually resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, etc.). You will eventually be cleared of all charges, after spending up to 48 hours in jail, paying a lawyer $2,500, and spending the next year scheduling court appearances. To some, it's worth it for the pic. To others, it's better to walk away.

Most reactions

Back