Political Forum?

Would you be in favor of a Political Forum?

• Absolutely not! Everyone would end up hating each other.

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • Maybe, to see how it goes.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Yes! I want to discuss some politics!

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just wanted to toss this out there. I have seen (as I'm sure many have) more than a few threads in the recent past either go completely political or be just on the verge of going there.

I know politics is really against the rules here, but I do like to talk politics and I think it could be done here civilly.

I am wondering what everyone else thinks? Would it be possible to have a political thread here in the Off-Topic section where we could go to debate when we feel like it?

I know, there are dedicated political forums, but if I go there I get too immersed; it would be nice to have a little variety for when you want a break from looking at photos. Plus, I already waste (I mean 'spend') enough time here, I don't want to register for another forum

I know this will probably get shot down, and even if people are for it, who's to say the rules will get changed, but I just wanted to give it a shot.

It's definitely a sensitive issue here. In the past it's gotten a big no, the main argument being that this isn't a political forum and that things can become quite personal when issues that sensitive are discussed. Yes, most people here are mature enough to discuss these things, but it only takes a few to start a forum-wide battle that leaks into the areas that are traditionally tension-free. Thats another big concern, containing that debate. Yea, it's in a dedicated thread, but no, the harsh feels won't remain isolated in that particular thread. I'm really just spitting back out what the mod's have said in the past, but I personally would be hesitant to put it in effect. I understand your desire though, I'm a lover of politics and if you ever want to PM with someone about it I'm your guy. ;)

PS. It was once said that within the subscriber forum more topics could be discussed such as this, as it provided minimal supervision. You could try there?

Eric.

It's definitely a sensitive issue here. In the past it's gotten a big no, the main argument being that this isn't a political forum and that things can become quite personal when issues that sensitive are discussed. Yes, most people here are mature enough to discuss these things, but it only takes a few to start a forum-wide battle that leaks into the areas that are traditionally tension-free. Thats another big concern, containing that debate. Yea, it's in a dedicated thread, but no, the harsh feels won't remain isolated in that particular thread. I'm really just spitting back out what the mod's have said in the past, but I personally would be hesitant to put it in effect. I understand your desire though, I'm a lover of politics and if you ever want to PM with someone about it I'm your guy. ;)

PS. It was once said that within the subscriber forum more topics could be discussed such as this, as it provided minimal supervision. You could try there?

Eric.

Yea, you have some really valid points, and I fully agree that spillage is a potential unwanted effect.

It's especially true right now I think in this point in time - the whole world is extremely tense right now, and politics are really bitter in the U.S. especially.

I just may take you up on your PM offer sometime. Thanks for the response.

Very few forums can take political discussions and survive the fallout which almost always happens at some point ( though some can keep going for a long while before a fallout)
Of those that can the reason they can is often because its a small forum where everyone knows everyone - hence its mostly a friendly atmosphere and arguments are forgiven. A large place like this I can see horrible fallouts, arguments, rants and in bad cases suspensions and baning. Its also a lot of work for mods as they have to monitor the threads constantly to keep them from wavering off topic or catching fire - I think it a lot simpler to let politics be left out.

Thanks for the great responses so far! I can't say I disagree with any of the points. 3 against and 2 for it so far, keep the votes/comments coming!

I don't say no..... I say Hell NO, not here.

It gets too political as is at times. In a previous life, I managed pubs. There were three topics NOT open for discussion inside the walls of my house.

Politics was #1 and continued discussion of it would get you banned.

out of interst what were the other 2?

This was brought up just a few months ago. I repeat what I said then: No. If you want to talk politics, there are plenty of other forums out there. Don't bring it here, there is absolutely no need.

Yeah politics can get some people stir crazy

Religion and politics are the two things liable to cause the most heated debates and the flame wars.

Take this as an example - are paedophiles sick individuals that need treatment or hideous monsters that should be executed? Two opposing viewpoints with no meeting anywhere in the middle. That kind of this would be debated ad nauseum. It's a bit like the film v digital or 35mm v 6x6 or Canon v Nikon debates that rage ad nauseum although the latter is less likely to be so bitterly fought.

I'm the only one that voted for maybe. lawl

Lots of Nays so far...I can't say I'm really surprised. Politics is definitely a touchy subject. But at the same time, Americans especially don't talk politics enough, which I think is why we keep getting shafted!:confused:

I think TPF has seen enough animosity in the recent weeks as it is, and we are only discussing a tame issue like photography. I commend you for the idea, but a political forum would kill the friendliness of the site –and once you get there, there's no return.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back