Poll - When Sightseeing, How Many Photos per Day?

How Many Photos per Day?

• I don't take any - a vacation is a vacation and I'm there for fun, not photos.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 1-200.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • 201-400.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 400-750.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 750-1000.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a photo fiend with a happy trigger finger ... 1000 photos? - that's child's play!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

astrostu

Just curious 'bout you all. When you're on a vacation - with your photo gear - around how many photos per day do you take? And perhaps more interesting, do you think that's a large number?

I just got back from a trip and over about 24 hrs I took over 500 shots. And yes, I do think that's a bit much, especially since it's going to take me forever to process them all and stitch together the panoramas.

Well it really matters where but probably 100 give or take 20 - I can't stand the part about digital photography where you have to go through 20 images that all look the same and take one out.

I can't vote in the poll, as none of them really describe me.

For me, it really depends. I can take a couple hundred, or I can take 10.

I was in Chicago all day yesterday, and probably only took 10-15 shots....doubtful that I got anything good.

There are too many variables involved. If you are on your own, you have a great deal of flexibility but when you have a wife and son with you, it is different. It is not always possible to be at the right place at the right time of day, with the sun in the right location in the sky, and tourists not getting in the way. If you hit it right, a lot of shots are possible, but if not, you are wasting memory.

There is also the fine line between getting the shot and aggravating your family.

skieur

I can't vote in the poll, as none of them really describe me.

For me, it really depends. I can take a couple hundred, or I can take 10.

I was in Chicago all day yesterday, and probably only took 10-15 shots....doubtful that I got anything good.

Well put. It also depends on which specific film camera I'm shooting. On a typical Polaroid photo shoot, I tend to be conservative and shoot maybe a pack of film (10 exposures). That's a buck-twenty per shot! My TLRs require a lot of setup (manual focus, aperture, shutter, and peering through the magnifier to get good sharp focus), and frequently a slow shutter with a tripod, so those only work out to 10 or so exposures as well.

Last time I went out to an old ghost town, I pulled the stops out with my 35mm Nikon N75 and shot 6 or 7 rolls, meaning over 130 frames!

I think other variables are at play here too, like when you choose to go. Most of my best photographs are at sunrise, when I can ditch my friends and do my own thing. There's less people out at sunrise, less distractions, better opportunities and much better light. The 130 frames I did get off were between the hours of 5 AM and 7 AM.

It would depend on where I went. I am going to Chicago in a couple weeks and I wouldn't take nearly as many pictures there as if I went to Europe somewhere.

Most reactions

Back