Poor Man's HDR

tmyprod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hola,

Is there a way to get an HDR image from only one photo in photoshop? The reason I ask is that I think it would be a fun experiment to do a music video in HDR or at least so it looks like it. Also, how do people look in an HDR output?

I've never done it, but I know a lot of people do it by processing one RAW three times - one underexposed, one normal, and one overexposed.

Currently only the RED shoots video in RAW, but unfortunately, I do not yet have one at my disposal.

Not really sure how you would go about doing this for video...
I don't know much about how the files are processed and all that stuff.

I assume you have similar tools to what you would use on a photo, but I wouldn't really know where to start.

You start by breaking the video into an image sequence, then giving photoshop a list of what you want done and photoshop will apply each effect/filter/change to each image. then after having it run for a while (many, many images anywhere b/t 18 to 30 frames for each second of video), then recompile in your favorite video editor. So, all I need to know is what the best way to shoot and then turn into HDR in photoshop. I'm thinking that shooting as flat as I can will provide the best HDR results.

It cannot be done. HDR is not an 'effect' like other filter effects. In photography terms it has to made up from preferably three or more different exposures of the same scene.
To put it as simply as i can... you could try and mimic HDR by tone mapping a series of stills, then adding the stills to a timeline, which would be very time consuming but may give the different effect your looking for.
There is simply no way you can create 'HDR film' using normal moving image shooting methods and photoshop.

I would agree with Arch; there is no way to produce real HDR from a sinlge image. However, I do have an idea of what to do for a faux-HDR effect. Bear in mind, however, that I am trying to save you as much time as possible, and just because it might looks good in video doesn't mean it'll look good as a high-res still.

Basically, fiddle with Photoshop's Shadows/Highlights tab. If you add this effect to the maximum, it sort of looks like an HDR photo (for instance, you get halos around areas of high contrast). Turn the settings you used into an action, then batch-process the action to all your frames. Doing each one individually would just be too much work.

Well, best of luck. I hope you find something that is a good comprimise :)

Just to be clear what is the proper way to create an HDR image?

do you mean hdr like pictures or hdr as in "bloom" where bright objects or whatever light beams hit glow

Just to be clear what is the proper way to create an HDR image?

It is combining 3 or more exposures (pictures) together that are taken with 1 or more stop difference in exposure.

From Wiki: "In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high dynamic range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of exposures (the range of values between light and dark areas) than normal digital imaging techniques. The intention of HDRI is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows.
High Dynamic Range Imaging was originally developed in the 1930s and 1940s by Charles Wyckoff. Wyckoff's detailed pictures of nuclear explosions appeared on the cover of Life magazine in the mid 1940s. The process of tone mapping together with bracketed exposures of normal digital images, giving the end result a high, often exaggerated dynamic range, was first reported in 1993, and resulted in a mathematical theory of differently exposed pictures of the same subject matter that was published in 1995. In 1997 this technique of combining several differently exposed images to produce a single HDR image was presented to the computer graphics community by Paul Debevec.
This method was developed to produce a high dynamic range image from a set of photographs taken with a range of exposures. With the rising popularity of digital cameras and easy-to-use desktop software, the term HDR is now popularly used to refer to this process. This composite technique is different from (and may be of lesser or greater quality than) the production of an image from a single exposure of a sensor that has a native high dynamic range."

Most reactions

Back