Poor quality in long exposure

Marc32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried to upload two photos but it tells me I do not have permission to add attachments on this page?? I can email them out if it would help.

I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ100 about a month ago to replace an old point and shoot. I fully realize that this is not a dslr camera, but it has a whole lot more features than my old camera. I've been playing with them for a while and looking online for inspiration and advice. I'm extremely satisfied with close up shots, daytime shots, and outdoor shots. Way, way better than my old kodak!

I have been trying my hand at long exposure for the last few days with mixed results.

I know it's all about the ISO setting, aperature value, and shutter speed. I set it at 100 ISO at night and 2.8 AP value. Camera can go from 2.8 AP and 1/2000-60 second shutter time. I'm having issues with image noise when I extend the shutter speed to longer times. At 100/2.8/8second I can get a clean picture. If I use 100/2.8/30 second I get a brighter picture that looks bad. Going to 60 seconds is a disaster. I'm not sure if this is my issue setting up the camera, or if I'm missing something when i take the shot? I suppose it's possible that I've over reached the camera's abilities?? While taking these pictuers, the camera has been on a tripod and I've been using a remote shutter button. I've tried a few variations with the setup and not any luck. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
To attach photos you have to have a paid membership.

To just post photos: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html you have to host them somewhere else online like Photobucket, Flickr, Smugmug. and then copy and paste the direct link those types of hosts provide.

Using a blank line between paragraphs makes your posts more readable.

It's called image noise in digital photos, it was calld grainy in film.

The image noise in long exposures is caused by image sensor heat, and a low signal to noise ratio. The heat in the image sensor is caused by electrical resistance.

I tried to upload two photos but it tells me I do not have permission to add attachments on this page?? I can email them out if it would help.

I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ100 about a month ago to replace an old point and shoot. I fully realize that this is not a dslr camera, but it has a whole lot more features than my old camera. I've been playing with them for a while and looking online for inspiration and advice. I'm extremely satisfied with close up shots, daytime shots, and outdoor shots. Way, way better than my old kodak!

I have been trying my hand at long exposure for the last few days with mixed results. I know it's all about the ISO setting, aperature value, and shutter speed. I set it at 100 ISO at night and 2.8 AP value. Camera can go from 2.8 AP and 1/2000-60 second shutter time.

I'm having issues with grainy pictures when I extend the shutter speed to longer times.
At 100/2.8/8second I can get a clean picture. If I use 100/2.8/30 second I get a brighter, but more grainy picture that looks bad. Going to 60 seconds is a disaster.
I'm not sure if this is my issue setting up the camera, or if I'm missing something when i take the shot? I suppose it's possible that I've over reached the camera's abilities?? While taking these pictuers, the camera has been on a tripod and I've been using a remote shutter button. I've tried a few variations with the setup and not any luck. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Basically every camera has it's limits. You have to do your own testing and see where the limitations are for that sensor.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Most reactions

Back