MBPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.monicablancophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I am a newborn and child photographer that shoots on location, which means most of the time I am at the client's house. I usually like to shoot with natural lighting and the natural atmosphere of the house using props and locations in the house to make the pictures more personalized to each child, but I am finding that not all houses I go to make this very easy. I recently did a newborn photo shoot at a house that made it extremely difficult to find any nice location with decent to take a picture. Because of this, I am looking to buy a portable background stand and some backdrops so that I can have a nice background and floor if the house I end up going to does not provide this for me.

That being said, I have never used a portable background stand or backdrops so I am kind of lost. I am not sure where the best place would be to purchase them.
For the backdrop, the problem I am having is that some houses do not have a lot of space for me to assemble a 9 foot background stand and this seems to be the smallest I can find. I also found a 5 foot one but that seems to be too small if I want the parents in the shot as well. I can't seem to find one in between those sizes. I also do not know if they are adjustable or not? The ones I have found have not specified.

For the backdrops, I have found some that I like but I would like some suggestions as to where to purchase them for a reasonable price. Also good brands and what you would suggest.

I could also use any tips and techniques for using these.

I'm sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance for your help!

I find a good muslin to be the best solution. That paired with a sturdy background stand and you are good to go. I have a black, white, and gray muslin and some gels.

I bought a background stand, similar to those above. It is a 12 foot wide stand, but the cross bar is 4 separate pieces, so I can set it up at 6', 9' or 12'. The stands are heavy duty, which means they have a large footprint, which has been an issue when space is tight (in a client's home etc.) but I think that is better than having a flimsy stand when kids are around.
It comes in a travel bag and packs down pretty easily.

For backdrops, I have used muslin, regular cotton sheets and a vinyl backdrop. I prefer the vinyl for a nice clean/smooth look, but it's much more of a pain to travel with as is has to be rolled up and can only be folded once or twice. And it does have to be evenly lit, other wise it does show the wrinkles from being folded up.

You haven't mentioned the budget amount. Anyway i suggest you to try 6 feet or 10 feet wide support stand. I have ordered 10 ft backdrop stand from Chromakeystore last week. They are easy to install and disassemble. You can break down the kit into a bag. They are easy to carry so it would be comfortable while transportation. Price was also reasonable. As you wanted one between both the sizes you can give 6 ft stand a try. Hope this helps.
6 ft wide Photo Studio Backdrop Support System :: $ 78.50 | Photo Studio backdrops and Background

I'm a big fan of the PVC box newborn photography backdrop stands. Here is an example - https://www.etsy.com/listing/90067490/newborn-photography-backdrop-stand-works

View attachment 18159 View attachment 18160

These stands are light weight and easy to take down and travel with (it easily fits in my trunk and can be picked up with one hand when it is in the box). These stands are also great because they allow you to pull the sides of your fabrics and pin them to the stand. This produces less wrinkles in the fabric and in turn...less post processing!

Hope this helps! :)

Well of course you're a fan...you're maker of those.

Hello,

I am a newborn and child photographer that shoots on location, which means most of the time I am at the client's house. I usually like to shoot with natural lighting and the natural atmosphere of the house using props and locations in the house to make the pictures more personalized to each child, but I am finding that not all houses I go to make this very easy. I recently did a newborn photo shoot at a house that made it extremely difficult to find any nice location with decent to take a picture. Because of this, I am looking to buy a portable background stand and some backdrops so that I can have a nice background and floor if the house I end up going to does not provide this for me.

That being said, I have never used a portable background stand or backdrops so I am kind of lost. I am not sure where the best place would be to purchase them.
For the backdrop, the problem I am having is that some houses do not have a lot of space for me to assemble a 9 foot background stand and this seems to be the smallest I can find. I also found a 5 foot one but that seems to be too small if I want the parents in the shot as well. I can't seem to find one in between those sizes. I also do not know if they are adjustable or not? The ones I have found have not specified.

For the backdrops, I have found some that I like but I would like some suggestions as to where to purchase them for a reasonable price. Also good brands and what you would suggest.

I could also use any tips and techniques for using these.

I'm sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance for your help!
These types of situation can not be risked with especially with a new startup, in today's market even the slightest of problems could backfire, my advice would be to get into contact with a company that has actual good reviews, one false purchase could break you

Most reactions

New Topics

Back