Portable Hard Drive

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I got one of these (Jobo Giga One) and promised to write a quick review on it. I think it's going to be one of the best buys I've ever made, it cost me just under £100, has 30GB storage, a reasonable battery life and is sturdily built. by the looks of things it will copy around 10GB before needing a charge again. You can also change the hard drive very easily (4 screws and no technical knowledge) for any other 2.5" laptop style hard drive, they're a bit more expensive than the 3.5" full size ones but not by too much. It uses a standard USB cable so you should be able to leave home without one and not have to worry too much. That's about all I have to say about it, if I find any problems with it I'll add to this review then...

Arch

Damn You!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
good call..... i had my eye on one of them.... please do let us know how you find using it etc :thumbup:

OP
magicmonkey

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
well I've been using this for about a week now and have only found one problem, the battery. It only copies about 5GB before it gives out. That's not too much of a problem for me as I carry the charger around with me as well but it might be a problem if you're going to head off somewhere with no power supply for any length of time. Other than that small problem the thing is brilliant, I was a bit slow to trust al my data to it but after copying around 20GB to it there hasn't been one bit of data loss so I think it was a pretty good buy all things considered...

Arch

Damn You!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks for the report, can the battery be replaced or is it fixed?.....still sounds ok tho.... may be a future purchase for me.

OP
magicmonkey

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
just had a check, the battery is a large 3.6v mobile phone style li-ion thing with an unusual connector, if you can find one then replacing it isn't hard work but you'll need a precision screwdriver so probably a bit more hassle than it's worth, especially as the screws are tiny annd would get lost real easy...

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been using a Jobo Giga one for about 5 months now and love it.. the only downfall I see is copying 1GB to the drive takes about 8 minutes so if your shooting action you may miss some shots while your transfering, I plan on buying a small memory card to use while Im transfering just so I dont miss any good shots. Aside from that I love it, it effectively gives you a 40 GB memory card assuming you can get to a power source to recharge every once and a while.

Most reactions

New Topics