Portable Lighting

marialynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into purchasing a portable lighting setup, and just looking for thoughts on what I should purchase. The primary purpose for the purchase at the moment is a couple of conventions I have been asked to set up a photo booth at (out of state, aka flying the lights), though I've been wanting easier-to-transport lights for on location work anyway. I have a Bowens Gemini setup in the studio.

I shoot a Nikon D3x with a D300s backup and I currently have a SB-800 speedlight and SU-800 commander unit. I'm not sure if it would be better to expand my speed light collection and add some battery packs (the AAs kill) or get an event lighting kit like the FlashPoint StreakLight kit or similar. Thoughts?

Your going to know better than anyone if a speedlite is adequate for the type of shots you do. Studio lights obviously have more power, will recycle faster, and modeling light capability. So that's the first decision. Then I think it's all about your budget. If money was no issue I would opt for the Profoto B1's for portability but that's just me. They will TTL with NIkon (I think) now and that's an advantage. There are enough choices here to make your head spin but you probably already know that or you wouldn't be asking.

Personally, I'd not touch speed lights for a photo booth if I had the choice of those or lights that plugged in to a wall.

Personally, I'd not touch speed lights for a photo booth if I had the choice of those or lights that plugged in to a wall.

Yeah, I prefer plugged strobes as well, but I've been told I may or may not have access to plugs, so I should plan around batteries "just in case". Just trying to figure out a good option for portable lights that can reasonably be used on battery power for long periods.

The streaklights (they are on my list for size vs power) are nice but you can also get 6 older nikon flashes yn560's for around $ 300 bucks or less and a couple do multi speedlight brackets and get away with it since its small. Or you can grab a couple of flashpoint 320m's and a vagabond for about $450. All depends on money and how light you want to travel.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back