Portable Tripod for Nikon D3200 + 70-300 (hiking)

mattwilliamlawson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I've registered in order to ask what may be an often-asked question, but one which has many differing answers.

It may be that my request is unrealistic, in which case, let me down lightly!

I have a Nikon D3200 with 18-55 and 70-300 lenses.

In April, I will be taking it out and about with me for the first time while I am doing some light(ish) hiking in Germany equipped with only a rucksack.

I have a remote control, so would be keen to get some 'selfies' (I hate that word, but it has its uses...) with myself in the landscape, but also some long exposure shots of water etc.

It strikes me that the one thing that I am missing is a tripod.

I am searching for something light enough to carry in my rucksack (or at least strap to it), is affordable (less than £50 or $85) and is strong enough to hold a weighty DSLR and long lens.

My initial searches, despite it being a little unorthodox, point to the Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom which is priced at just £28.49 at one online retailer (without ballhead - do I need that? It's £59.99 with). It doesn't offer the height, but the reviews in terms of mobility and strength are good, and it ticks the third box in affordability.

I'm sure not I need a full height tripod, and am sorely tempted just to order the Joby, but if anyone else has any great suggestions, I'd very gratefully receive them.

Many thanks.

Gorillapod is very small, very low. I would look for something at least 58 inches tall. For hiking, carbon fibre is the lightest material, and 4-section legs will be the most-compact type of tripod.

Thanks.

The Hama Star 61 looks like a good shout at just £20.21. 1.5KG in weight, supports 3KG and is 158cm in length at maximum.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back