Portaits, for Panel. C&C welcome.

dave196

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi again all,
been playing around with some lighting and the dave hill look.
Think I have it just about right.
Im doing this series as a scholarship panel for NCEA Level 3 (last year of high school in New Zealand).
I dont awnt any "true photography is unphotoshopped blah blah" because the scholarship is for photography, and photoshop application.
C&C welcome, and appreciated.

Josh.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

Enjoy.

i think they're really cool. especially the last three. i like the composition too. maybe i'd have tried to keep the floor black even in the second pic ... since the bgs are always blackish in the other shots. anyway they're really great shots!

I like the style and mood. Nice shots

First one seems to say to me "Screw markers and making art, I make art with a camera!"

Nice compositions on the last three. The one of you writing would be the best in my opinion.

On #3, what's the white speckles at the bottom? and on #2, what were you going for with the book? Just the book symbolizing education?

Great job on the Dave Hill Look also

~Michael~

Why does it look like the guy is dirty and has a black eye.... did you set that up like that or did he get in a fight the day before the shoot?

I have a question, how exactly do you get the Dave Hill look? Was it mostly in PP?

First one seems to say to me "Screw markers and making art, I make art with a camera!"

Nice compositions on the last three. The one of you writing would be the best in my opinion.

On #3, what's the white speckles at the bottom? and on #2, what were you going for with the book? Just the book symbolizing education?

Great job on the Dave Hill Look also

~Michael~

Hi, thanks for feedback. Yes the one with writing was my favourite (favorite if your american) shot also, the book was merely to symbolize work of an artist. I actually left the sketch pad (which I was going to use as the prop) in the back of the class which I had before this. Couldn't find it when i went back to get it.

Thanks also, the Dave Hill look is a fun one to play round with.

Why does it look like the guy is dirty and has a black eye.... did you set that up like that or did he get in a fight the day before the shoot?

I set it up like that, to give a kinda crude rough look, almost like rust but in human form.

I have a question, how exactly do you get the Dave Hill look? Was it mostly in PP?

Hi, no lighting is very very very important. alot more so than your photoshop ability, although I have been photoshopping for ~6 years (since I was 11) and this took me about 5 months to get right. As for how EXACTLY i do it, read the tutorials and what not online and try get it down for yourself. Honestly much much more benficial to play around with it than to just get told how to do it. Its a heap of dodging and burning. and lots and lots of layers.

Thanks everyone for replies, much appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back