Portfolio Advice

sally_05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I am currently trying to compile a cross-section questionnaire on professional opinions on portfolios, this is to hopefully go towards a module in my degree (Ba Photography) - so far I have tried to email professionals working within the field but its understandably hard to get a response from any of them. If any of you (amateur, professional or otherwise) could help out by answering my questions I would be very grateful!

I am currently trying to compile my own portfolio so any advice/opinions would be appreciated!

1 – What do you feel are the most important aspects to consider for a photography graduate portfolio? And why?

2 – In your opinion, how many images should be shown in a portfolio?

3 – What format do you think is most appropriate and professional for a portfolio? (Digital CD, own webpage, traditional prints, all) Do certain employers/companies have a set standard requirement?

4 – How important is it for a photographer to adapt their portfolio to suit the genre of their prospective employer? Or should you show the widest variety of images possible?

5 – Would you recommend that text accompanies each photo giving a brief context and explanation?

6 – What would you say is the purpose / value of a portfolio?

7 – Is it important to see a variation of both analogue and digital methods of photography processes in portfolios in this time?

8 – In your opinion, what is the most effective method to gain opportunities to show your portfolio around for potential employers/companies? Do you have any advice?

9 – Are portfolios still relevant? ...and why? (To showcase your work? To attract commissions/funding? To provide an opportunity to talk about/’sell’ your work?)

10 – What are the most important factors to consider when compiling what images to use within your portfolio? I.e. Quality vs. Quantity, relevance to job, etc.

11 – Should professionals use social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook and Flickr to showcase their work and gain a fan base? And why?

Thanks for your time!

Hi - hope this helps you.

1 – What do you feel are the most important aspects to consider for a photography graduate portfolio? And why?

Fresh ideas, good variety and images that display the highest of quality.

20-30

3 – What format do you think is most appropriate and professional for a portfolio? (Digital CD, own webpage, traditional prints, all) Do certain employers/companies have a set standard requirement?

A digital CD should be supplied so that the employer can reflect on your work, to initially gain the interview you would need your own website and showing traditional prints has a certain tactile quality. In summarisation, providing all would be beneficial in terms of giving a strong visualisation of your work.

4 – How important is it for a photographer to adapt their portfolio to suit the genre of their prospective employer? Or should you show the widest variety of images possible?

It would definately be appropriate to adapt your portfolio, however you do need to show that your skills base is as wide as possible within your chosen genre.

5 – Would you recommend that text accompanies each photo giving a brief context and explanation?

Yes, I personally feel 20-50 words be sufficient.

6 – What would you say is the purpose / value of a portfolio?

Your portfolio is everything to you as a professional photographer.

7 – Is it important to see a variation of both analogue and digital methods of photography processes in portfolios in this time?

I would say that digital techniques are far more imperative, however it would be a bonus if you could display analogue processes to accompany it. Diversity in technical ability is always a positive thing.

8 – In your opinion, what is the most effective method to gain opportunities to show your portfolio around for potential employers/companies? Do you have any advice?

A good method is getting to know the right people and creating a professional relationship with them, creating such connections can help you gain more opportunities.

9 – Are portfolios still relevant? ...and why? (To showcase your work? To attract commissions/funding? To provide an opportunity to talk about/’sell’ your work?)

Of course, they are the only physical way of exhibiting yourself as a practising photographer, employers will always require you show one, keeping the work within it up-to-date will help keep it relevant.

10 – What are the most important factors to consider when compiling what images to use within your portfolio? I.e. Quality vs. Quantity, relevance to job, etc.

Quality vs quantity is VERY important, always make sure that your images are of the highest standard possible.

11 – Should professionals use social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook and Flickr to showcase their work and gain a fan base? And why?

They are an effective way of creating a fan base. However, you need to read the terms and conditions relating to who owns those images once you have uploaded them on to the site. Potentially, you could lose the rights to your own images. Conversely, you could also have your images published, be careful what you agree to when signing up. Owning and running your own website to advertise your work is far more effective.

Good luck with your portfolio - p.s. good choice in questions!

Consistency. If your images are all over the place in exposure, white balance, etc then who is to have a guess what you will produce? A cohesive, consistent set of images that show your skills, talent, vision and your style.

I am all for a large portfolio, but a good set of 10 images is far better than 100 inconsistent ones. It also depends on the type of portfolio you are showing. If you are showing a website or digital portfolio then there are going to be more images put into it. If you are showing a printed album you are limited to only so much space and so many images in it.

3 – What format do you think is most appropriate and professional for a portfolio? (Digital CD, own webpage, traditional prints, all) Do certain employers/companies have a set standard requirement? It depends on what you are wanting this portfolio for. If it is to show prospective employers in an interview then a portfolio album is what you will need. If an employer requests a digital portfolio... If you are looking for clients of your own you'll need a bit of everything-web site, digital slide shows, albums, prints, canvas, products... What is your goal with this portfolio? A printed portfolio is never a bad idea. You can show that and have it in a digital form for email, etc. Your main bases are then covered.

If you have the ability to shoot and target exactly what an employer is looking for? ABSOLUTELY. If you aren't sure of the genre that the employer is looking for then a wide range of variety. The key with the variety is to show a consistent ability with each different thing-if you put macro shots in there should be several cohesive shots to show macro work... then portraits... One of each thing doesn't show so consistently.

NO. A photograph should always speak for itself. If you have to explain it then you failed in making the image.

6 – What would you say is the purpose / value of a portfolio? The purpose of a portfolio is to land the job. Whether it is to show clients your abilities or an employer. IMO the portfolio is everything. It's how a client knows that your work is what they are looking for.

7 – Is it important to see a variation of both analogue and digital methods of photography processes in portfolios in this time? For some employers? It might be. For the general public and in landing clients? Nope. They don't care. They only care that you can capture the images they are dreaming of. Don't care how you do it.

Hmmmm, employers. That is the problem. There aren't many EMPLOYERS in this field. Most of us are in business for ourselves. It REALLY depends on what the job is you are trying to land as to how you would get your foot in the door for opportunities. Networking is key no matter what you do.

QUALITY!! Always quality. Throw away everything you are emotionally attached to. Look for the perfect images with the WOW factor only. Diversity-don't show a portfolio of only one person through out the whole portfolio unless you have highly targeted an employer or client.

11 – Should professionals use social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook and Flickr to showcase their work and gain a fan base? And why? Absolutely-but NOT as a primary form of web presence. It's to compliment your website and help with SEO/word of mouth/connecting with the clients and generating constant interest. As a primary presence it's definitely not very professional.

Thanks for your time!

Most reactions

Back