Portfolio Creation

digitalrightnow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How many pictures should be in a portfolio? What should I carry my pictures in? I am considering getting a binder and putting my photos in sheet protectors and carrying them that way. I understand that 8x10 is standard portfolio size, however some people here on this board seem think otherwise, and I have no reason to argue because of their years of experience. I have ordered a paper cutter to cut my 8.5x11's down to 8x10. Hopefully that doesn't take to much practise, I don't want to ruin too many pictures in the meanwhile.

Once again, I am replying to a post I know practically nothing about, but I would probably suggest printing your photos specifically for your portfolio at the 8x10 size to prevent any 'rough' edges from the paper cutter. It is your best of the best presentation anyways.

I would be a little hesitant of using sheet protectors, as they do bend quite freely and the glare you will receive with them in certain light might 'degrade' what are probably amazing images. If you are putting them behind any type of 'reflective' protector though, I would suggest a matte finish.

Another possbility is to buy a 'scrapebook' like album (cloth or leather cover is always a bonus) and use either glossy or matte prints (I think glossy is preferable, but it will show finger prints) and put a single image/page.

I am looking forward to hearing the opinions from people with experience :) Great question.

What are you needing the portfolio for? Give us a little more about what you are wanting to do.

I am concerned about the white space around the edges of my paper, also like I have already stated the pictures are standard letter size(8.5x11) and I feel it would probably be best if they were 8x10. What does everyone think?

It may sound kind of silly but I don't really need the portfolio for anything, but I think it would be a good idea to have one on hand in case an oportunity to be employed as a photographer may arise. I have very little experience, and I must confess I'm not even working with film I am actually using a digital camera, but you never know when an oportunity may knock.

You need an actual portfolio not just a binder. You can get them at your higher end art supply stores (Dick Blick, Pearls, Sam Flax). Size is up to you, I do 11x14. If you would like I could take a pic of it and show you. The reason I ask what you are needing it for is presentation varies depending on what you are going for, advertising, architecture, portraiture, etc. What do you like to shoot, what comes natural? That is what you should concentrate on.

I enjoy photographing wildlife, particulary birds. I would love to maybe get a job someday for a wildlife magazine. I want to ask where online could I purchase a portofolio? You said that you are using a 11x14 was it? Which size should I go with given that my pictures are 8x10? I would like to go with a porfolio of 8 x 10 but I don't know for certain, that may be too small, but keep in mind I am using 8x10 photos. What do you think?

I ususally buy stuff from www.bhphotovideo.com or Freestyle (banner link in the top right-hand corner of this page). Itoya makes some nice, simple (and inexpensive!) portfolios. If you're going to use 8x10 photos, you'll probably want an 8x10 portfolio - if you go up to 11x14, you should reprint your photos at 11x14 (at least that's what I would do)

ladyphotog said:
You need an actual portfolio not just a binder. You can get them at your higher end art supply stores (Dick Blick, Pearls, Sam Flax). Size is up to you, I do 11x14. If you would like I could take a pic of it and show you. The reason I ask what you are needing it for is presentation varies depending on what you are going for, advertising, architecture, portraiture, etc. What do you like to shoot, what comes natural? That is what you should concentrate on.

What the lady and niccig said.
If you opt for a cheaper type portfolio, make sure the clear plastic that the pouches are made of is chemically neutral. Meaning that the chemicals in the pouch won't react with the chemicals on your photos' surfaces. It would ruin them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back