Portfolio Making

Aedai

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any advice to making a hard copy portfolio. I need to make a good one by Friday so I'm running out of time. I've never made one before and so any advice would be wonderful!

Also does anyone know of a free site to make an online portfolio?

Please and thank you!

I would check out a local photo print shop or something if you need a hard copy by Friday. I think you're out of time to get one from an online provider..Most online print labs should offer them though. I personally like mpix and Nations labs...but there are tons of options.

I actually work in a print shop so that's not the problem. I just need to put it together :)

Oh, well...I'll just retract my previous post then! :) I'm no help beyond offering useless advice that you already have figured out...which isn't all that unusual. :)

What aspects of building a portfolio are you seeking advice on?

Lightroom has a module specifically for creating albums/photobooks which will allow you to upload directly to several major on-line printing houses.

My unprofessional method:
12 to 15 shots.
Start and end with powerful photos and have one or two in the middle to grab the reviewer's attention.
Try for a good balance on facing pages.

We just spread everything out on the dining room table and start editing - toss aside what doesn't fit, then start rearranging the rest.

Aedai said:
Does anyone have any advice to making a hard copy portfolio. I need to make a good one by Friday so I'm running out of time. I've never made one before and so any advice would be wonderful!

Here is a diagram I just made for you. I have had a portfolio made exactly like this since 1982. It has been moved around with me for 32 years, and probably viewed 100 times I'd guess. Inside, the prints are still pristine, and not dog-eared. YOU CAN MAKE this folio and slip-case in less than 40 minutes. Out of heavy paper, and glue.
portfolio diagram_PRINT.JPG

Basically, the prints are stacked in the center of a folio that has two flaps which fold inward toward the middle of the print stack. Once folded closed, one simply slides the folio and prints into the simple slip cover. The folio is made of one piece of paper, and the hinge is really just a spaced pair of folds, at the appropriate distance apart to account for the thickness of the prints. In my sketch, I drew this for 20 heavyweight inkjet print or 20 double-weight enlargements from a 3:2 aspect ratio camera, so the top figure is more or less to scale.

If the prints are mounted on card stock or matte boards, the "hinge folds" would of course need to be placed farther apart to hold 20 matted prints.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is what you mean but Michael's craft stores sell presentation binders.

If it's architectural photography houzz.com lets you create a free portfolio website with the URL, "your-name.houzz.com".

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back