Portfolio Pics

nitefly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rawmusicians.com
I am currently putting togethor a portfolio for my Media coursework, and I was wondering what sort of pictures do you think I should include?

I have my landscape photos.. But now what? I want to cover all types to show what I am capable of and I really want to get high marks on these :)

I was thinking:
  • Landscape
  • Portrait
  • Macro
  • Sport
  • Journalism
However, I am interested to find out what types of photos i should put in to impress my teacher the most :) Also, what would all of the general photos come under? Such as a photo of some barbed wire that i took, and I was thinking of shooting some of a tug boat in liverpool.. Would I call that "general" or is that unprofessional?

I was also wondering whether to be more specific.. Such as a "Musical Instruments" gallery and a "Flowers" gallery??

I look forward to hearing your advice :hail:

Nath.

Have you been asked to produce a portfolio? If so, was there a guideline? For a professional portfolio, you've got to produce a number of works which are representative to potential clients, but for an art school thing, you might be required to demonstrate a different kind of understanding...

Rob

Including a shot or two of various subjects would let your teacher show a skill across a range of topics.

Like Fate said ultimately it's your shout but one thing I'd add to Fate's comment is to be critical of your own work and include only the best. Don't let sentiment or your memories of a shot get in the way eg an ok shot of your pet compared to a good shot of barbed wire.
If you have a friend who's willing to help why not get them to help you choose - they'll probably be more "detached" from the whole thing and give you a different perspective.

Thanks..

What I meant was, what would you shoot if you was in my shoes ;)

The teacher has just told us to choose our own photos and show them in a portfolio.

talk to your tutor see what would suit the mark criteria and see what they say

hot shot said:
talk to your tutor see what would suit the mark criteria and see what they say

Ok.. Not the answer I was looking for, but thanks.. Maybe i should rephrase..

If you was putting togethor a portfolio of pictures to display your best abilities, what types of photos would you put in there? :thumbup:

dumb blonde answer the ones that best display you skills sure its not a question of what aspects should i (you) include but more which ones are the best pictures realy dosnt help sorry.

if it was me i would
twin%20hell%20large.jpg

this one cause its just raw speed and is the top end of reactions and its once in a time shot sort of thing and then maby this

large%20big1.jpg

just cause its soo nostalgiare and shows good compisiton as well as use of colour.

hope this helps (some how)

I don't think anyone can answer this for you...you are showing off your skills, and you should be the one who knows what your skills are.

Because it's for a class, I would think that it would be a good idea to include shots that showed control of different technical aspects. Shots, that use DOF to your advantage. Slow and fast shutter speeds. Use of natural light and studio/controlled light.

nitefly said:
If you was putting togethor a portfolio of pictures to display your best abilities, what types of photos would you put in there? :thumbup:

Show your portfolio to people who you think know a good photo, and who you know will be honest with you. See what photos they think are your best. It doesn't mean you have to choose those photos for your portfolio, but it can be helpful to get someone's opinion who doesn't have the same connections to the photos as you.

The teacher has just told us to choose our own photos and show them in a portfolio.

Unless I received specific instructions to create a portfolio that represented a cross section of my work, I would try to put together a portfolio of images that had a theme, common subject matter, or unifying style.

Most reactions

Back