Portfolio?

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of putting together a hard copy portfolio of my work.

I am curious as to what size prints are most common for use in a portfolio book. The subject matter will be individual and couple portraits (senior photos, engagements... that sort of thing).

And how many? Is 20 too much or not enough?

--- Mark ---

I prefer a nice 8x10 leather. And it all depends what your showcasing.

If your doing ALL your work...wedding, portraits, pets, families, etc.

I'd do at least 10 photos each.

If your doing just one category, then I'd go around 20-25.

I prefer a nice 8x10 leather. And it all depends what your showcasing.

If your doing ALL your work...wedding, portraits, pets, families, etc.

I'd do at least 10 photos each.

If your doing just one category, then I'd go around 20-25.

Cool! Thanks for the input. :)

20 is good.

I made 4 x 6 pocket portfolios as well as letter size. I keep the pocket ones in my glove box or backpack.

I have about 45 in mine. People seem to get bored and start flipping though them, so maybe I have too much. Keep in mind you wont find photos like mine on any forum your been on. If they get bored with my work they will get bored with most anything I guess.

Although my work is people oriented along social documentary lines. So it may not appeal to some people like landscapers that say they hate people photos.

Another thing you can do is put 5 or 10 photos on every new SD card so you have some 'in camera.'

What is the purpose of your portfolio?

If it's to show to prospective clients, then I'd keep a separate portfolio for each area; one for weddings, one for high school seniors, etc. Because the mom of a high-school senior doesn't really want to know how good your wedding photography is, she just wants to see your strongest senior shots.

IMO, 20 is the absolute max I'd do in any one portfolio; 10-12 might be better.

I need to get leather books, probably, but I'm too cheap, and right now, with the people I'd be showing them to, it's not that important. But you DO want something where it's easy to interchange photos. Your strongest shot today may be your weakest shot six months from now. Keep it updated with your best work.
Size: I would (and do) use at least 8x10, and some are 11x14. Maybe that depends on the subject matter, but I just find that most of my photos look better at 8x10 or larger sizes, so that's what I want to show. If I could lug a few 16x20s around with me, I would. :D

Larger than 8x10 for sure.
Go big, or go home.

I recommend no more than 12-15 of your best images per genre.
People start getting overloaded if they have more to look at.
If you are on the fence about a photo being good enough for your portfolio or not, it's not good enough.
If you wind up with fewer than 12-15 'best' photos, use the best. Don't flesh the portfolio out with less than your best to hit some number.

11 x 14 is a very common size for a hard copy portfolio.
Prat #138 Slimpampa, Deluxe Bonded Leather Cover Press-Book, with 12 11x14" Archival Super Clear Sheet Protectors, Cover Color: Black.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back