Portland and area? Or San Francisco/Sacramento?

Wow, how could I have forgotten the Gorge. I may have my Oregonian card revoked for that one. :(

Funny... I've only been west once in my life. I flew into Sacramento (one daughter lived there), then drove to San Francisco (where the other daughter lived). They both now live in Portland.

Anyway... I did enjoy Muir Woods while in San Francisco.

-Pete

OK, Portland it is. I'll be buying the air tickets shortly. The B&B I might be staying at is in the Division Neighbourhood. Is the area safe/interesting/well communicated by bus? (The alternative would be the hostel on NW 18th Ave. and Glisan St.)

Division is nice, but for ease of transit, I'd stay at the hostel on NW 18th. It's a nice place--I stayed there a few months back. You can walk downtown, to the Pearl District, and you can also walk up to the Nob Hill neighborhood on NW 23rd, where you can catch the Portland Streetcar that'll take you around town. Get to know MAX, too. It's your friend. Except I believe the Yellow line over the Steel Bridge is out of commission. Anyone have an update on that for us?

When you gonna be there?

Also, check out the White Eagle hotel on North Russell Street. Cheap and clean, it's a pretty cool place to stay. I think the rooms are like $30 a night.

Division is nice, but for ease of transit, I'd stay at the hostel on NW 18th. It's a nice place--I stayed there a few months back. You can walk downtown, to the Pearl District, and you can also walk up to the Nob Hill neighborhood on NW 23rd, where you can catch the Portland Streetcar that'll take you around town. Get to know MAX, too. It's your friend. Except I believe the Yellow line over the Steel Bridge is out of commission. Anyone have an update on that for us?

When you gonna be there?
The hostel is still an option; however, I'm worried that I'll have to wait in line to take a shower or use the bathroom otherwise. I'd rather use that time to walk around town.

The plan is to be in Portland from Dec. 25 to Jan. 5.

Also, check out the White Eagle hotel on North Russell Street. Cheap and clean, it's a pretty cool place to stay. I think the rooms are like $30 a night.
I have already looked into this option too. The White Eagle is on top of a live music bar, and passengers complain about high levels of noise until deep into the night.

Thanks much for the overall info you've given me, really cool.

The hostel is still an option; however, I'm worried that I'll have to wait in line to take a shower or use the bathroom otherwise. I'd rather use that time to walk around town.

The plan is to be in Portland from Dec. 25 to Jan. 5.

I have already looked into this option too. The White Eagle is on top of a live music bar, and passengers complain about high levels of noise until deep into the night.

Thanks much for the overall info you've given me, really cool.

I dunno. I've never been bothered much by the noise. But I lived in the college dorms for two years... :lol:

Normally I don't post here, I just read and observe. But I wanted to give you my .02. I was in Northern Ca. this summer and never ran out of things to shoot while there. I did a full day at alcatraz and loved it. I mean come on, in how many towns can you get such diversity ? Plus the surrounding areas are amazing. If you can visit the Monterey Aquarium make the trip, it's the finest in the world as far as I concerned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back