portrait canon lens

delko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi allCan you please point out which lens would be the best.Which lens have the best optics or glass.Best sharpness.I want to shoot at wide aperature.My main focus will be outdoor portraits.I am looking at the canon 50mm f1.4Canon 85mm f1.8Canon f60mm f2.8 macroUsing an eos 60dI allready have a canon 50mm f1.8Thanx

Best for wide aperture, outdoor portraits: 50mm f/1.4. They'll all deliver just fine on sharpness.

Thanx buckster :)

Btw.

I got the flash and not the tripod... 430 ex love it to pieces❤❤❤

I would skip the macro

50 1.4 is a nice step up from the 1.8. I did the upgrade a few years back and happy.
I've since purchased the 85 1.8 but havent used it too much as my work has me using zooms most of the time.
You might want to look at the 35 1.4. A bit pricier, but the few times I've used it on a full frame, I've loved it. While people normally aim for longer focal lenghts for portraits, You can pull off some interesting, not as typical, stuff with the 35 or wider

I think the 85mm f/1.8 EF that I have is a hair better wide-open than the 50/1.4 EF that I own. I do NOT, I repeat, do NOT really like to shoot wide-open. Make no mistake, I like shallow DOF, but in all honesty, I find that shooting wide-open at distances of less than 20 feet leads to too many "almost-but-still-gotta-kill-file-it" shots where the depth of field is just a bit too shallow, or the subject moved a little bit after the focus system has settled on the lock, etc,etc.

I own a full set of prime lenses. I grew up shooting primes. I like primes. But I seldom shoot my fast primes wide-open...f/2.2, or f/2.5, or f/2.8 all see a LOT more use than f/1.4 or 1.8 or f/2...one eye in-focus and one eye out of focus might impress a lot of people on Flickr, but to me it looks like the photog doesn't really have command over his tools.

I have the 85mm f1.8 and like it but not good for indoor portraits. I would probably not go for the 50mm f1.4 if I owned the f1.8 simply because I would like more distance options but as Buckster said above the aperture speaks for itself. Regarding the 35mm f 1.4 also mentioned this focal length can be very good on a crop indoors but it is expensive, I have the 35mm f2 and its cheap and good quality imo

Derrel said:
I think the 85mm f/1.8 EF that I have is a hair better wide-open than the 50/1.4 EF that I own. I do NOT, I repeat, do NOT really like to shoot wide-open. Make no mistake, I like shallow DOF, but in all honesty, I find that shooting wide-open at distances of less than 20 feet leads to too many "almost-but-still-gotta-kill-file-it" shots where the depth of field is just a bit too shallow, or the subject moved a little bit after the focus system has settled on the lock, etc,etc.

I own a full set of prime lenses. I grew up shooting primes. I like primes. But I seldom shoot my fast primes wide-open...f/2.2, or f/2.5, or f/2.8 all see a LOT more use than f/1.4 or 1.8 or f/2...one eye in-focus and one eye out of focus might impress a lot of people on Flickr, but to me it looks like the photog doesn't really have command over his tools.

Thank you. I actualy just didnt choose my words correctly.

I dont ever shoot at f1.8 with my 50mm f1.8.

Its like you said i usually at 2.2 ,2.5 or my fav 2.8

I had the 50mm Canon f/1.8 and upgraded to the Sigma f/1.4 (many have gone with this over the Canon equivelent but I'm sure both are great). Focus is faster and not noisy or clunky feeling, image saturation seems to be quite a bit better, and I've gotten some very sharp images with it. For pics of our girls outdoors, I prefer the 85mm, mostly so I can keep my distance from them and let them do their thing while I snap away. Since you have a 50mm, I think you should at least try an 85mm and see if you like the focal length before you commit.

I have a canon 50 1.4 and while I think it is a fantastic lens, I almost never use it wide open.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back