portrait comparison

anton980

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.antonimation.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello again! I'd like some opinions if you wouldnt mind :) Which of these two portraits do you like better. Or rather, do you even like these portraits? Thanks very much!

Lena_Hershey_Small.jpg

or

Lena_Hershey_Small2.jpg

Anton

hi anton!

heres my critique.

im not too fond of either to be honest. i think the sun was too harsh and blew out the hair. if i had to choose i would pick the first cause of the more natural posing and composition. nice model, and great work so far! you should try this type of shot in the late day sunlight, i think it would give you some warmer tones.

md

Thanks, MD. I wonder if I can fix that blown out hair in photoshop :) I actually like the highlights on the loose hair in the first one. I'll give it a shot.

MDowdey said:
hi anton!

heres my critique.

im not too fond of either to be honest. i think the sun was too harsh and blew out the hair. if i had to choose i would pick the first cause of the more natural posing and composition. nice model, and great work so far! you should try this type of shot in the late day sunlight, i think it would give you some warmer tones.

md

I have to agree, nice shots, alright compisition, but you picked the wrong time of day, early in the morning of later at night will maybe help...and perhaps a warmup filter 81B? :)

Of the two, I prefer the first but would be happier if there were a different crop, giving her more room to look into. This crop is also cutting off some of the preciously highlighted flying hairs that you so like.

Unfortunately, I don't like the second one too much. I don't like her pose in that one...

Thanks very much for contributing your critiques!
First one is actually my favorite one by far. As far as cropping - that can be changed easily - there's plenty of photo outside of the frame. Thanks again!

I think that the first pic is the better of the two...but the sun is blowing out the hair.

I prefer the lighting in the second... but the pose in not flattering (right up the nose).

Try having your subect interact with something... If not the viewer, then someone/something else in the composition.

Good luck!

-Pete

Hi and thanks for critiques! I went back to retouched the photograph based on the suggestions, also cropped it a little different as was suggested. Couldnt do much about the blown-out hair, though :( Do you think it's better?

Lena_Hershey_01.jpg

i like the last post. i dont know why, but i immediately thought of nora jones when i saw her.

the last one is a real improvement, looks good

Thanks guys! Portrait photography is by far one of my weakest points. This whole thing is a learning process. Everyone here is a tremendous help! And I'm sorry I only have one model readily available to me, so whatever I post in the future will likely include her again :) Thanks again to everyone!

Anton

Most reactions

Back