Portrait Fun

Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just upgraded to my D200 on thursday... dragged the girlfriend out in the cold for a few photos.
2271076457_deceea4529_o.jpg

2271868202_593ff68c2b.jpg

link to full size http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2117/2271868202_88c4cd3174_o.jpg

Tell me what you guys think. All natural light 50mm. Be hard on me, im trying to learn portrait stuff a lot... Have a shoot coming up in the upcoming months.

I think the first is great technically but it's missing any expression...

The 2nd- I'm not so into the composition on it but again a technically great picture.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a little play on the first. I'll take it down if you want me to!
I thought it looked a little cool, so I warmed it up a bit by making new layers and adjusting the colors just slightly.
I also made a new layer (I make new layers for everything in case I want to erase anything back) and adjusted the brightness contrast which I think did the most boosting of it. But, I erased back the background because it's already bright and I didn't want it to take away from her face more. Did another really low layer of Soft Light with a really low opacity and erased back her hair so it wouldn't be too dark.
Oh, and I made a new layer and cloned out the undereye circles and then lowered the opacity to around 70% to bring them back a tad and look more natural.
Oh, sorry added a little bit more. I did another curves layer and erased the background. Then I made a new layer and using curves made the background a little darker and erased her back in so she would stand out more.
2271076457_deceea4529_o2.jpg

The lighting and everything is good. The only thing I'm wondering about is her chin, was she forcing her mouth to stay shut, or was she pursing her lips a little? It just doesn't look natural to me, but maybe it is. Other than that, I'd say you're off to a good start. Enjoy the camera, it's a great one.

Those are both awesome! And April nice play! I have learned so much from April just from her posts. I like your composition in the second one. Good job!

I like the photos but, it seems as if she is really trying to keep her mouth closed.

Thanks Kathi:)
I felt like a hypocrite so I switched to saying people can edit my photos too. I only had it set as it wasn't ok because I hate when people mess around with it and don't tell you what they did so you can redo it yourself if you want to:)

thanks for the kind words!

No worries April, looks good! I left my tablet at school (Northern Illinois University :-( ) not expecting to have the school closed for a week so i just minimum edits. Contrast Sarpen and eyes. Nice tut as well, will play with it some when i get back.

As for the expression, she was upset and angry with me before I wanted to take the photos and her mood really showed through :-/... got her away from the forced smile though.

This is encouraging though, i hope to get some more photos to share with you guys! My biggest problem is full body portraits.... will work on those when the weather changes

Yes, I agree that the originals looked a tad cool (you can tell by the blueish tint in the whites of her eyes). Great edit, April!
Otherwise, Stanger, I think you did a great job with these.

No help on your photo...Just wanted to say I am sorry that your school had such a tragedy happen. I am praying daily for the families of the injuried and dead. Stay strong!

Thanks, i didnt even notice mine where cool until april corrected and more pointed it out (i now know to look at the eyes). Thanks!

@Crystal - thanks, we are pulling through... The police did an excellent job which i think helps us feel safe... I went yesterday to visit the memorial and put up a set in the photojournalism section

Most reactions

Back