Portrait help

ahcigar1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am not by any means a portrait photographer and unfortunately a relative of mine has asked me to do maternity photographs for her tomorrow morning. Since I have found out she wants me to do this I have been doing research up the wazoo. But one thing I can't seem to find info on is what meter mode should shoot on. I was thinking would need spot metering, is this correct? Also it seems to be different opinions on what light is best. Whether it be backlight w/reflector, shade, cloudy, facing the light. Which light is typically best for portraits? Also I know it is very easy to make the light look very flat if you are not careful. Any tips on how to prevent this from happening? Also I should mention that these will be outdoor in a park with no flash. Also which lens would probably work best, my 70-200mm f2.8 or my 50mm f1.8? And I guessing should probably shoot at about f4-f8?

Just use auto mode (portrait) in a pinch such as this. Then no need to worry about any of the technical stuff in such a short time. And don't forget to edit the photo afterwards. It makes it a lot more professional looking. Edit the photo so its all black and white except for the belly. Selective coloring is hot this year.

Tro' Tro' Trolling since '77

Use your 50 at F2.8 in Aperture priority.
Single point focus, focus on the eyes or if turned, right in the middle of the eyes.
If you are outside try to stay away from green light shadowed areas.
Shoot late in evening so you have some good light.
Metering mode doesn't matter that much, keep an eye on your histogram and blinkies and adjust accordingly. If you don't know what those are then use spot metering on her face.

You can shoot at the edge of shaded areas with light coming in from the side to create some shadow for depth on the face.
You can also shoot with the sun at the back or your subject, which works really well for maternity photos. Creates a nice glow effect, expose for her face and let the background blow.

In all cases choose your background first, eliminate distractions, place your subject into the frame.

Keep it fun.

Last edited:
Just use auto mode (portrait) in a pinch such as this. Then no need to worry about any of the technical stuff in such a short time. And don't forget to edit the photo afterwards. It makes it a lot more professional looking. Edit the photo so its all black and white except for the belly. Selective coloring is hot this year.

ROTFLMAO! Good one! :)

What is portrait mode? I don't think I have that in my camera. And I try to take my shots so they don't need much post proccessing afterward because I simply don't have the time and you can't "fix" a photo through photoshop it has to start in the camera when you take the picture, hence why I was asking for tips on portrait subject. Thank you for your input though. Oh and also I really don't need the sarcasm. I know how to work my camera and expose an image no need for the dummy modes.

Last edited:
Google Maternity photos, pick out ones you like (specifically look at lighting and poses) and print them out to take with you. Since its a friend, she wont mind, and it will help you because you're going to get there and go blank. Try to go early or late, don't go when the sun is high unless you have tons of cloud cover. I've seen beautiful portraits taken with the 70-200mm 2.8. Shoot at whatever F stop gets the effect you as the photographer wants.

Me??? I don't know why you'd think such a thing!

:lol:

I'm sure if you spend a few hours studying maternity photos, you'll get a good feel for what works and what doesn't. But the technical stuff will take a few more hours than you have available.

True. I didn't really get that she didn't know technical stuff though. Just the metering moding part, which is kinda a legit question if she's not used to shooting portraits and shoots action more, for example. Maybe. I don't know, I keep my metering on the little dot I can move around in the eye view.

OP- read your manual :D

Thank you for the tips MReid I appreciate the honest helpful suggestions.

Thank you for the tips Bossy. And yes I have been studying poses because I don't have the slightest clue of how to pose a person.

And AgentDrex I know how to work my camera just fine. And I know how to compose a photo just fine. I was asking for specific points and that is all I needed info on. Not a Nikon for dummies book. I was asking these questions becaue I know skin tone can be a very different aspect to expose properly and since it is not what I am used to photography at all I was asking very specific questions on how to get the proper exposure for the subject. So if you don't have some constructive advice on what I have asked, then I would appreciate it if you would stop posting here.

MReid said:
If you are outside try to stay away from green light shadowed areas.

Not tryin to hijack the thread, but what are green light shadowed areas?

---Chris

Most reactions

Back