Portrait help

spykep88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys and gals

I own a Canon 600d and my only lens right now is the kit 15-55 which has been great to learn and mess round with.

But my family want me to take portrait shots of the family, all together and individually. They think I'm like a professional which has got me worried. So I'm looking for a great portrait lens for round £200 cheaper would be better.

My dad has lent me his old backgrounds and lights but he sold all his lens and cameras years ago.

Please help me. P. S I'm in the UK. But don't mind shipping if that's cheaper.

Thanks in advance

A/PArsons

Hey guys

What's best choice for a portrait lens for Canon 600d

A/PArsons

The EF 50mm f/1.8 II is very cheap and produces pretty good quality pictures but the build quality is...not on par. However it fits your budget. I would suggest getting a speedlite and just using the kit lens.

Thanks juga

I have been looking at the 50mm 1.8 and 40mm pancake 1.4 both near same price. £110 ish mark
I like the 430ex ii but it costs £200 so not sure.

Any advise would be great, especially if anyone owns those lenes or knows of good speed lights bit cheaper then the 430. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A/PArsons

Thanks juga

I have been looking at the 50mm 1.8 and 40mm pancake 1.4 both near same price. £110 ish mark
I like the 430ex ii but it costs £200 so not sure.

Any advise would be great, especially if anyone owns those lenes or knows of good speed lights bit cheaper then the 430. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A/PArsons

The 50mm or longer focal length usually is regarded as better for portraits. Thats not to say that you cant do portraits with shorter lengths but 50mm + is more flattering to people. I like that 50mm f1.8 (some here think its poor). It is also cheaper and faster than the pancake lens. Have a look on ebay at the yongnuo yn 465 flash unit for canon. You could get that flash and the 50 for under 200. Look also at buying or making some kind of flash softbox. This in my opinion would be a good start

This is one example with the 50mm. Technically not the best portrait ever but it will give you an idea of how it renders backgrounds at large apertures

Cool kid by jaomul, on Flickr

Jaomul thanks I really like the bookah in the picture. What I'm looking to do, I live in Wales and could get some really nice bright colour bookah with that. I'll check out that flash, do you own one?

A/PArsons

I own one and recommend it. It has ttl which is handy. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the canon but is no slouch either

I own one and recommend it. It has ttl which is handy. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the canon but is no slouch either

Ok thanks Jaomul will definitely check it out.

A/PArsons

Most reactions

Back