Portrait lens for Nikon d7000

fjrabon said:
135mm on a DX is way too tight, IMHO.

Not if you are outside or have plenty of room.

right, but if it's your only portrait lens, you probably don't want something you need 15-20 (or more) feet to fully use properly. It's a good one for somebody who has a full arsenal of portrait lenses to add on for special occasions, but I definitely don't think it's a good idea for someone's first or even primary portrait lens.

From all indications this will be OP's first real portrait lens.

fjrabon said:
right, but if it's your only portrait lens, you probably don't want something you need 15-20 (or more) feet to fully use properly. It's a good one for somebody who has a full arsenal of portrait lenses to add on for special occasions, but I definitely don't think it's a good idea for someone's first or even primary portrait lens.

From all indications this will be OP's first real portrait lens.

In that case, he or she is better off with a 28-70, 24-70, or 50/85 mm prime. On my 35-70, I'm usually 60-70mm range. So much that I have no use for a 50 mm prime. Although I know there's a huge price difference, I personally can't decide between the 85 1.8/.4, 135 f2 or just getting a 70-200 vr1. It would most likely be the 85 prime and the 70-200 later on.

On the other hand, you pay for what you get.

I have the 35mm 1.8G and 50mm 1.4D so I wouldnt mind getting something like the 85mm or 105mm just to play with. Not to get too far off OP's topic, I think either the 35mm or 50mm makes for a great first portrait lens. especially on a DX body. They are extremely useful, give good results, and are very affordable.

pixmedic said:
I have heard AMAZING reviews on the 85mm 1.4G but its definitely out of my price range for a while =)
what about the 105mm f2.8?

The 50mm f/1.4G or the 85mm f/1.4G... Haha these Nikon lens names crack me up. So much harder to type than 85L vs 50L. The 105mm has been a famous focal length for long time now when it comes to portraits. It also serves a dual purpose as its a macro lens too isn't it? Don't get all carried away into longer lenses for portraits only. I love environmental portraits with wide angle primes too. Or even wider lenses.

These are with 35mm f/1.4L ( canons ) but still the same idea

I might have to think about switching to Canon just so i don't have to type out the f/stop every time I list a lens! :lol:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
pixmedic said:
I might have to think about switching to Canon just so i don't have to type out the f/stop every time I list a lens! :lol:

LOL... Sorry I'm a new Nikon convert and still find the names cumbersome. There are ancient versions and old versions and AF versions then the G versions.

pixmedic said:

LOL... Sorry I'm a new Nikon convert and still find the names cumbersome. There are ancient versions and old versions and AF versions then the G versions.

yea, I dont know how it is with Canon, but with Nikon you have the non-AI, AI, AF, AF-S, D, and G lenses. its such a pain in the butt. After all that you STILL have to specific what f/stop it is.

pixmedic said:
yea, I dont know how it is with Canon, but with Nikon you have the non-AI, AI, AF, AF-S, D, and G lenses. its such a pain in the butt. After all that you STILL have to specific what f/stop it is.

With canon you have a non L and an L version with the most used Focal Lengths of lenses. So 35mm f/2.0 vs 35mm f/1.4L aka 35L. 50mm f/1.4 vs 50mm f/1.2L aka 50L. There aren't any ancient lenses which mount up to current bodies as the mount is different. Even the cheaper lenses have USM motors (a few don't ie the 50mm 1.8 and 35mm f/2.0).

The 135 f/s DC is a bit pricey! I'm sure it's awesome though.

Go used nikkor manual Ai, AIS lens if your budget is really limited and you want fast, pro grade lens. Nikon hasn't made any longer focal length, affordable, "G" lens yet.

24 f2 ais
35 f1.4 ais
50 f1.2 ais
85 f1.4 ais(you can also find the 85 f1.4 a-d for a hundred or so more)
135 f2 ais
180 f2.8 ais
300 f4.5 if ed ais

If you like auto focus just stick with some of the cheaper, newer f1.8G/AF-D lens

28 f1.8G
35 f1.8G
50 f1.8/1.4G/AF-D
85 f1.8G/AF-D

But as you can see, without buying zooms, there isn't alot of modern affordable "G" lens available yet....

Last edited:
pixmedic said:

Pain in the butt????

We, nikonians, should be lucky enough to have a true variety of lens from past to present to choose from. Not force based on the current camera mount. It would suck to be a veteran canon shooter and have various lens that only fit certain bodies in their arsenal.

Pain in the butt????

We, nikonians, should be lucky enough to have a true variety of lens from past to present to choose from. Not force based on the current camera mount. It would suck to be a veteran canon shooter and have various lens that only fit certain bodies in their arsenal.

I didn't say i was not grateful..i'm just saying it can be a pain in the Buttocks filtering through a lot of different lenses trying to find the one you want. I LOVE the fact I can find an old Nikon mount lens at some super great price and stick it right on my camera. however, I can also see the intrinsic value of having the choices filtered down a little for you and having the ability to expedite the decision making process. Work with me here..im TRYING to find something good to say about Canons past camera mount decisions...

jake337 said:
Pain in the butt????

Maybe from a gear collectors mind set. But being a full time photographer I have no need for the older tech. Heck I change bodies and lenses yearly almost just to make my work flow easier or more reliable. As a matter of fact, the longest I've kept a lens was around 2 years. Lenses and their image style go in and out of style every few years. But I do see a great advantage to being a collector of Nikons as you can mount all of the older lenses onto the newest bodies. Just don't see many pro's in my area still using manual focus lenses or the older D lenses unless they have too while on gigs.

Most reactions

Back