Portrait Lens questions

MommyOf4Boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all. I am wanting to get some additional portrait lenses that would compliment my 50mm 1.8 lens. I have been doing a lot of research and have read that the 35mm is good, but it is also good to use a good zoom lens like 105mm or higher.
Please give me your comments on what you find ideal for nice crystal clear-sharp photos and why you choose that lens.

I personally don't have one, but people are constantly raving about the 28-75mm lenses for portraiture. I heard the 35mm is wonderful for working in tighter spaces (interior photo shoots). I have a 24-105, and somtimes I find it becomes a little too heavy and I end up 'over cropping' in the camera, but overall, it covers pretty much every base.

Well, that wasn't very helpful was it. :lol: Good luck with your decision

what kind of portraits are we talking about? mostly headshots? mostly 3/4 or full body shots? a combination? for headshots I'd say the 85mm 1.8 or 100mm f2 (or 85mm 1.2L or 135mm f2L if you have the extra cash), or perhaps a 70-200 2.8L (with or without IS). for wider stuff, peanuts was correct in suggesting the 35mm. the 35L is one of canon's nicest primes (i'm not sure if you're using nikon or canon, if you're using nikon just take the nikon counterpart of the lenses i mentioned) and makes for a great wider portrait lens. if you want wider (which can be handy), I would suggest a 24-70 or 28-75mm zoom. Those are known to be very good and have a useful zoom range.

Thanks guys. I am actually wanting a variety to be able to do head shots and fully body shots. I am going to be buying about 4 lenses at the first of the year and really want to gear them more towards using them for portraits. I am going to get the Tokina 12-24mm which I will probably get a great deal of use out of (not for portraiture) and the Nikkor 75-300mm.
I am going to add the Nikon 85mm 1.8, 35mm (f/?? is the best?), 24-70mm, and 28-75mm lenses to my list to compare and prices.
I will have $3000 to spend on lenses, a set of lights, and the SB-600 flash. (and any little items I may think of)
I am going to be doing my sister's wedding photography in April and would really like to have a good combonation to work with, but also not have to change lenses very often. I am thinking that my 50mm will be used for a lot of the indoor shots like in her dressing room, along with maybe the 35mm lens that will give me a wider angle..this will not be a big problem changing lenses, because I will have time to do this. For the outdoor wedding ceremony photos, probably the 24-70 or the 28-75 would work best? This of course is not what I want all of the lenses for.
I do not consider myself to be a great photographer, but I do think I do pretty good and I just like to have a variety. Once I use the lenses that I purchase, I will know better which to use in certain shots..practice makes perfect! :D

I agree with the 85 1.8 I have it and it's a great portrait lens also the 70-200 2.8VR is another wonderful portrait lens I would consider the 70-200 and the 28-70 2.8 without the flash you should just go over your $3000 price so you may have to reconsider your limits.

Someone asked this question on another forum and amost every one who has done photography a while said the 85mm is an awesome lens to use for portraits and teh 100mm is just as nice... Have fun with your purchase! Look forward to seeing your pictures once you get them :)

thebeginning said:
what kind of portraits are we talking about? mostly headshots? mostly 3/4 or full body shots? a combination? for headshots I'd say the 85mm 1.8 or 100mm f2 (or 85mm 1.2L or 135mm f2L if you have the extra cash), or perhaps a 70-200 2.8L (with or without IS). for wider stuff, peanuts was correct in suggesting the 35mm. the 35L is one of canon's nicest primes (i'm not sure if you're using nikon or canon, if you're using nikon just take the nikon counterpart of the lenses i mentioned) and makes for a great wider portrait lens. if you want wider (which can be handy), I would suggest a 24-70 or 28-75mm zoom. Those are known to be very good and have a useful zoom range.

Excellent advice

It also depends on what camera you are using. On the 1.6x digital cameras, the 35mm is similar to a 50mm on a full-frame camera. It can be nice for environmental portraits, but I wouldn't use it for anything that gets in close at all. My favorite is the 85mm/1.8, which is like a 135mm on the 1.6x cameras.

I have the Nikon D50.
I have definately added the 85mm 1.8 to my MUST HAVE list...I did a search on photos done with this lens, because I always like to see results, even though mine may not be the same, it is always nice to see what people can do with certain lenses and they were fantastic. And with the price of the 35mm lens (I found it in f/2) I can't pass it up either. I think I am also going to add the 105mm lens to my possibilites.

Most reactions

Back