Portrait lens recommendations for Nikon D5200

Lanna.O

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I have nikon d5200 with 18-55mm lens and i want to buy some equipment for professional photography. I'm looking forward to buy 50mm, 35mm and 85mm lenses. 85mm lens is a bit expensive so I'm looking for an alternative, cheaper version of it. Need some advices about it.

whats your budget?

That can get you a used Nikon 85mm 1.8G which is a fantastic lens but you will have to look around, people tend to keep them. Keep in mind that it would work on a FX camera if you ever decide to upgrade.

If you don't mind manual focus, the 85mm 1.8 AF-D can be had for around $300.
Nikon Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D AF Telephoto Lens | KEH Camera

Here is a 2 Kit lens promo 35mm & 85mm that has been going on for a while. It has the Nikon 85mm 3.5G but still a very sharp lens, just not as fast as the 1.8G but it has macro and VR function. These are both limited to DX camera's but still an excellent value.
Nikon Macro & Portrait Lens Kit

For $76 more dollars, you can get new
Nikon 85mm F/1.8

That can get you a used Nikon 85mm 1.8G which is a fantastic lens but you will have to look around, people tend to keep them. Keep in mind that it would work on a FX camera if you ever decide to upgrade.

If you don't mind manual focus, the 85mm 1.8 AF-D can be had for around $300.
Nikon Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D AF Telephoto Lens | KEH Camera

Here is a 2 Kit lens promo 35mm & 85mm that has been going on for a while. It has the Nikon 85mm 3.5G but still a very sharp lens, just not as fast as the 1.8G but it has macro and VR function. These are both limited to DX camera's but still an excellent value.
Nikon Macro & Portrait Lens Kit

For $76 more dollars, you can get new
Nikon 85mm F/1.8

Thank you!

I'd skip the 85mm until you get a 50 first. The 85mm is long on your body for portraits and can be restrictive unless you have lots of room to step baaaaaccckkkkkk.....

Hi. I have nikon d5200 with 18-55mm lens and i want to buy some equipment for professional photography. I'm looking forward to buy 50mm, 35mm and 85mm lenses. 85mm lens is a bit expensive so I'm looking for an alternative, cheaper version of it. Need some advices about it.

Oh, ha-ha, I asked some questions in your other thread.

I have both a 50 and an 85, and although I love them both, I would much prefer the focal length of the 85 over the 50 and certainly over the 35mm for portraiture. The reason being, (assuming one has the physical space to use the longer lens) longer lenses render portraits better in that the distortion is minimized. Shorter lenses are for when you've run out of space in which to back up more.

I'd skip the 85mm until you get a 50 first. The 85mm is long on your body for portraits and can be restrictive unless you have lots of room to step baaaaaccckkkkkk.....

So is the 50mm best portrait lens which can i get for my camera?

As I attempted to explain; longer lenses are more flattering in portraiture, but if you're cramped for space, then the 50. Or your zoom at 55mm. There's nothing wrong with the 18-55 IMO.

I prefer the compression and sharpness of the 85mm but as mentioned, you have to have the space behind you. The 85mm 1.8G has to be the best lens I have and it's a tremendous value while noticeably better image quality for portrait work, if you have the space behind you it can't be beat for the money.

I prefer the 35mm over he 50mm because it is more versatile in that makes a great street and landscape lens for me and good for tighter spaces. I also think the 35mm is a little sharper or at least my copy was, I ended up selling my 50mm. So for portraits, I use the 35 1.8G for tight spaces and the 85 1.8G for everything else other than a wide group shot. The problem with the 35mm is if you get to close to the subject, it can distort the face a little.

As mentioned, the 18-55 works great as well but I just prefer primes over zoom when it comes to portraits. I sold mine to get a 35mm 1.8G prime. I own a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 that was giving to me and it works real nice as well, better than the Nikon kit lens for sharpness and low light but I rarely use it these days.

Your gonna get a ton of answers here that can get confusing. The 50mm is probably the most popular choice but I just do not prefer it over the 35mm and 85mm. You will more than likely love it. The only 50mm I love is the one on my Pentax Film camera, 50mm f/1.7

Last edited:
Here is a quick pic using the 85mm 1.8, I was about 8 ft away. The original file on PC is tack sharp.
75f74764f4c9de1976c08363433be711.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lanna,

There is no "best portrait lens."

First you need to define in your mind, what is "portrait" photography for YOU.

Portrait can be anything and everything from a 20+ person multi-family portrait, 4 person family portrait, to a full length couple, to waist up couple, to single waist up, single head and shoulder, single head, single tight face.

Each of these types of portraits has a different lens requirement.
The larger the group, the wider the lens, the tighter the shot the longer the lens.

The space you have (distance from you to the subject) also affect the lens choice.
If you don't have enough space, you need to use a shorter lens. If you have the space, you can use a longer lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back