Portrait lens

mike3767

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a canon xsi and was asked by a friend to take some pics of his new clothing line and wondered what the best lens would be for this type of application. There will be models and mannequins. I have white and black felt backgrounds, 1 430 ex ofc and 2 continuous lights with umbrellas. I plan on renting it from my local camera store. He knows I'm not a pro and is giving me a chance to try this.

Might as well pick up a 50 1.8. Great little lens and will cost you less than $100. On your 1,6x crop sensor you are looking at about 80mm from the 50mm... Great for portrait work. The XSI is what I started with and loved shooting the 50 1.8. I still take it with me when I am going on a photo walk and don't want the bulk of my camera weighing me down.

Shooting clothing is a very long learning process. You need proper color rendition to properly depict the clothes. It's difficult but trail and error is a good way to learn. Maybe investing in blue/green chromakey backgrounds and a lil photoshopping goes a long way.

What's your budget for getting or renting suitable glass? What lenses do you have at the moment?

Of the lenses I have (see my sig) I get the best colour performance from the 60mm 2.8 Macro; it's also sharp enough to make sure I wouldn't lose any details in clothing.

I have a EFS 60mm macro lens made by canon 2.8 and PSE 8. I'm kind of nervous to do this but you are right, trial and error. Thank God clothing can't talk back to you and tell you to hurry up! Thanks for the input! It's good to get feedback not comments that tell you to leave it to the pros. You gotta start somewhere!

The 50mm will serve you well, especially on a crop frame. But after getting an 85mm f/1.4, I'm convinced that it is a great portrait lens, along with the 135 f/2L.

85mm @ f/1.4

246991_10150662483750121_713495120_19105116_843294_n.jpg

I did many portraits? Most importantly for portrait is lighting, Indirectly lighting, and then not flash on the camera, neither under the camera, but little bit up, and a little bit on the sides. Which side is light? it all depends on the model and the photographer desires. For portrait is the best lens from 50mm and above, all depends on the ability for distance. For young children and babies is needed toy or a sound that gets their attention.

Most reactions

Back