Portrait lens

AhmedQahal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi guys

could you help me here i own the canon 7D and i shoot head shots and Portrait and i would like to have the Canon 100mm F/2.8L Macro as studio head shots and full body portrait and Fashion.

So i will be great full for any advice .

Thanks

Ahmed Qahal

I think you might prefer the 100mm f/2 Canon EF lens. Macro lenses are designed for accurate focus at very close distances. At distances of 1 to 3 meters, a field telephoto lens, like the 100mm f/2, will usually focus faster, and easier, more often. I have several macro lenses, and I am not that happy with them for photographs of people; usually, the focusing is very,very hair-trigger...it's just too easy for a macro lens to mis-focus a little bit when the subject is a person.

I think you might prefer the 100mm f/2 Canon EF lens. Macro lenses are designed for accurate focus at very close distances. At distances of 1 to 3 meters, a field telephoto lens, like the 100mm f/2, will usually focus faster, and easier, more often. I have several macro lenses, and I am not that happy with them for photographs of people; usually, the focusing is very,very hair-trigger...it's just too easy for a macro lens to mis-focus a little bit when the subject is a person.

My tokina 100mm f2.8 macro focusing very accurately.

I'd still get that 100mm f2 for portraits though as I bet it is a cream machine.

Perhaps the 85 1.8 would be a better choice on a crop sensor?
The 85 is a bit cheaper also.

Thank you Darrel for your advice, i have been hearing good reviews about this canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens all around the web.

have you tried it ?

Perhaps the 85 1.8 would be a better choice on a crop sensor?
The 85 is a bit cheaper also.

hi Digibill

thank you, if i am willing to go for prime non micro lens i will prefer to go with sigma 50mm f/1.4 it will be a 80mm in my crop sensor camera.

And the reason i am going with micro because its superb and crystal clear in head shots and closeup photography .

Other lenses may be just as sharp as a macro. The difference is a macro will focus closer than a standard lens.

hi Digibill

thank you, if i am willing to go for prime non micro lens i will prefer to go with sigma 50mm f/1.4 it will be a 80mm in my crop sensor camera.

And the reason i am going with micro because its superb and crystal clear in head shots and closeup photography .

Okay, so in your original post you wanted to go with a 100mm macro. Which will give you a 160mm FoV. That's really tight shooting indoors on a crop frame body.

Someone suggested an 85/1.8 which gives you a ~135mm FoV. Still narrow, but much more versatile than a 160mm FoV, and it also has a larger aperture.

But instead of the 85, you want a 50? Which gives you an 80mm FoV. That really doesn't compute to me.

One thing you have to realize is that the field of view doesn't effect how the lens works, only the distance between you and your subject. A 50mm is still going to act like a 50mm on your camera.

Personally I would get the 85mm in your situation. That's the go to portrait lens for a lot of people.

hi Digibill

This was shot with an 85mm at f2.5. It's very sharp at full magnification on the original.

$image-3712620453.jpg

hi Digibill

Okay, so in your original post you wanted to go with a 100mm macro. Which will give you a 160mm FoV. That's really tight shooting indoors on a crop frame body.

Someone suggested an 85/1.8 which gives you a ~135mm FoV. Still narrow, but much more versatile than a 160mm FoV, and it also has a larger aperture.

But instead of the 85, you want a 50? Which gives you an 80mm FoV. That really doesn't compute to me.

One thing you have to realize is that the field of view doesn't effect how the lens works, only the distance between you and your subject. A 50mm is still going to act like a 50mm on your camera.

Personally I would get the 85mm in your situation. That's the go to portrait lens for a lot of people.

i really appreciate your effort trying to give me the wright advice so what you think shall i go with the canon 85mm 1.8 or sigma 85mm 1.4

what about full body portrait what you think about that, and what about the distance between you and the subject

Another vote for the Canon's 85 1.8. I also shoot a 7D, and it's the sharpest lens I've ever used. It's served perfectly for my portraiture.

While the EF100 f2.8 macro is certainly great at macro and does portraits very well, as said above the fov you get will put you quite a distance back from your subject and will almost certainly make full length inside portraits difficult. It is hard to say which lens is right for you here as you are not 100% sure yourself. Have you got a kit lens or zoom lens. If so I suggest you set up each focal length of the lenses you are asking about to see what limitations each focal length gives you. This may help you decide the length you need and then people here can give a better recommendation on which lenses are better in that range

Most reactions

New Topics

Back