Portrait Lens?

What kind of camera do you have? What lens(es) do you already own?

Also what's your max budget :)

while it may not be long enough for you, 50mm on APS-C sized sensors is actually short telephoto, and the 50mm 1.8 is one of the best values you'll ever come across.

Cannon 85mm f1.8 around $300 or less, you see them on ebay. I have one its fast and sharp.

I find 135 mm a bit too long to use with a small sensor for 'family portraits' shot with available light, or bounced flash, inside typical sized living room. I have both an 85mm and a 50mm and both are suitable - the 50mm might even have the edge there. I know about the 135 because I still have an excellent 135 F2 from non af days.

Not 'any' Canon lens. Out of all probability all 'new' lenses will work. Just make sure they have either EF or EF-S mounts.

Due to the crop factor of the 30D (yes, not the correct terminology) the 85mm is actually 'identical' in length to a 135mm on a 35mm body. So that might be where that review is coming from.

I personally prefer an 85mm over that of a 50mm for portraits but either work very well.

Edit: Patrice brings up a good point. If you are shooting primarily indoors, perhaps the 50mm would be a better idea.

My wife uses the ef 50mm 1.8 while I prefer the 85mm f1.8 Either one takes fine portraits. Oh yea we both have 20Ds and recently a 5D

While not a Canon user, i have to agree with some of the advice you're getting for the portrait useage. The 50mm "normal" lenses are really great on dSLR's and with your 30D's 1.6x (?) "magnification" and FAST F1.8 aperature you have an excellent portrait lens. The prices for those lenses are usually very cheap and the quality you will likely get is superb - especially for the price (this is the case with Minolta AF Maxxum lenses anyway).

Yes, 135mm on a APS-C sized sensor dSLR (like your 30D) is too long. This is my favorite FILM portrait length and i have and use several, but something 135mm is like 200mm on APS-C digital - it's simply too much.

Sorry i can't reply regarding a good Canon sports lens, but with Canon, focus speed will never be a problem for you.

frank

Most reactions

Back