Portrait leses/ kits.

NeoPho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was wonderig. I have a nikon D7000 I was wonderimg what are best or good lenses to use for outdoor portraits and headshots. Also indoor fashion glmour shots.

Another current thread on this board essentially deals with the same question.

Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 AF/S or Nikon 85mm 1.4 G AF/S?

Y
ou should include an idea of what your budget is. There are a LOT of lens choices all able to take very nice portraits, from $40 second hand ai/ais primes to top shelf multi thousand dollar long focal length primes from nikon, zeiss, blad, mamiya...

The following list will enable you to take any kind of portrait you want, from wide field environmental to very intimate head shots from a comfortable distance away:

14-24 f/2.8
17-55 f/2.8
24-70 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8
20 f/2.8
24 f/1.4
50 f/1.4
85 f/1.4
105 f/2 DC
135 f/2
200 f/2
300 f/2.8

There are many others, but these are probably the best of the best in the nikkor line. Hope your pockets are deep or your banker is friendly.

Last edited:
I would recommend a prime for what you state, 24-70 2.8 in my mind won't give you the bokeh effect you may want or need. The Sigma 50 1.4 would be a good choice. I find the 75mm equiv working distance very good for portait photography, only downside is that it's a tiny bit too close for headshots but I do take headshots with it and find it does not distort features in a noticeable way.

Bokeh is not an effect, it's a property.

Bokeh is not adjustable.

The term bokeh refers to the Circle of Confusion (CoC) a lens delivers. Circle of confusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I was still doing portraiture professionally I preferred using a 200 mm f/2 prime when I could, a 24-70 mm zoom, a 70-200 mm zoom, a 50 mm prime, an 85 mm prime, or 105 mm prime when I couldn't.

Bokeh is not an effect, it's a property.

Bokeh is not adjustable.

The term bokeh refers to the Circle of Confusion (CoC) a lens delivers. Circle of confusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I was still doing portraiture professionally I preferred using a 200 mm f/2 prime when I could, a 24-70 mm zoom, a 70-200 mm zoom, a 50 mm prime, an 85 mm prime, or 105 mm prime when I couldn't.

Fear not Keith, I understand fully that Bokeh is a property not a special effect. I was just using 'Bokeh effect' as a term for the look of a photo where the subject is separated from the background.

Thank you guys for your help =] wich would lenes will not leave me poor? Lol

Fear not Keith, I understand fully that Bokeh is a property not a special effect. I was just using 'Bokeh effect' as a term for the look of a photo where the subject is separated from the background.
It's not helpful to others to use the term in an incorrect context.

Separation of the subject by manipulating the exposure values and shot set up parameters to blur the background is using a shallow depth-of-field (DoF), which is also known as selective focus.

It's not helpful to others to use the term in an incorrect context.

Separation of the subject by manipulating the exposure values and shot set up parameters to blur the background is using a shallow depth-of-field (DoF), which is also known as selective focus.

Well I bow to you sir! For your superior knowledge on all things photography related! Are you upset Keith? Cos you still haven't sold your 24-85 lens which you advertise to everyone? Awww POOR KMH! :grumpy:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back