Portrait of a friend...

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
My memory is failing me in my old age...can't remember if I've posted this before or not, but it's one of my favorite portraits. This is a friend of mine from our soccer team. And she said she never takes a good photo. Bahh!

1-August-2003-170_RS.jpg

Doesn't take a good photo!? WHATEVER! This is a great picture and I'm sure it helps that a great photographer was taking it.... She has some of the most beautiful eyes... I love that color green and I normally don't like green. Great picture!

karissa said:
Doesn't take a good photo!? WHATEVER! This is a great picture and I'm sure it helps that a great photographer was taking it.... She has some of the most beautiful eyes... I love that color green and I normally don't like green. Great picture!

Yeah, and that green is real...no PS work on there. :shock:

Great camera perspective for this shot, Shark. The narrow composition really helps to bring out her eyes. What's also nice is that her eyes are centered on in the picture but her head isn't which gives the allusion that she is centered but really isn't. It gives it a sense of balance without the snap shot feel. Good work Shark!

Hey now, she has BEAUTIFUL eyes! For me it is a little rough seeing her sideways. I often come across great subjects who feel they can not be photographed. Usually I find that they change their mind when they see the proofs.

Nice one sharky, those eyes :shock:

Actually Craig brought up a good point.. any reason why you have it horizontal instead of vertical?

vonnagy said:
Actually Craig brought up a good point.. any reason why you have it horizontal instead of vertical?
Since you guys brought it up, I was curious myself so I flipped the shot to vertical. Maybe it's because I saw the horizontal shot first but I like it more than the vertical one. The unique camera perspective seems to work better horizontally but that could just be me.

I left it vertical because that's the way I shot it...standing alongside her, while she sat on the floor, so I was looking down sideways at her. I never even thought to try a vertical crop. For a vertical, which do you think would look better--right side up or upside down? With this odd camera angle, either one would be workable.

Shark said:
For a vertical, which do you think would look better--right side up or upside down?
If you were to go vertical, I think her head at the bottom looks better.

Wow.. again.. the eyes.... wish my where like that.... anyway, I like both ideas since they where near the same, however on this second one I think she needed to lean back just a bit more to bring her face in more full and so that her unbelievable eyes don't get cut off. It's not a bad picture as is though.

I like the composition and cropping, Shark. The only thing that distracts me is the use of a fairly wide-angle makes her chin get rather small compared to the rest of her face. Depth distortions from wide-angle lenses tend to jump out at me in portraits.

Most reactions

Back