Portrait of an old friend

remylebeau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If facebook is good for anything it's reconnecting with old friends. It's been 12-13 years since I saw Colin and we recently got in touch again through FB. He's an actor and aspiring song writer now, so we set aside some time to do a few portraits for his website.

He wasn't sure what to expect out of the shoot, so I did several lighting set-ups to cover a range of moods. Interestingly, both our favourites were the moody dark lighting ones yet Colin is naturally a happy guy that smiles a lot.

$12650189654_fb183aa03b_b.jpg

$12650406014_a5cef2c498_b.jpg

$12649786054_9b51639e38_b.jpg

I'm not a fan of that tone of green and red in the first one but I would say I like them all. #2 and #3 more then #1

Is the light in #1 a bit harsh? I'm asking because I?m viewing these on the crappy computer at work, so don't listen to me!

I'm not a fan of that tone of green and red in the first one but I would say I like them all. #2 and #3 more then #1

Is the light in #1 a bit harsh? I'm asking because I?m viewing these on the crappy computer at work, so don't listen to me!

Hey, thanks for checking out the images.

There's definitely more contrast in the first image, I wanted to compliment the red with the green. I think you're on to something though it does feel too much compared to the other two.

I just don't like the red that camera produce and I always tone it down or change hue slightly. In addition to this green I don't see the guy at all, all I see is red and green. He is a good looking guy and doesn't deserve to be drowned in that saturated colors.

That's not compared to the other photos you posted, don't get me wrong, that's because of my personal preference. That tone of red+green means the Christmas time for me.

I would tone down those colors a bit or play with hue, vibrance and see what would come up with that. Mask off his face to not apply those changes on him. He needs to be more prominent, not that colors.

I repeat, this is just my preference, others may disagree

ok well im on a OLED HD screen and when photo one is small i get what mmaria said, but when i enlarged the image, wow it really looked good awesome in fact
with image 2 i found that to be under exposed image 3 i also like over all good job

Not a fan of the first two. Too dark and my eyes wander. The last one is definitely a keeper.

ok well im on a OLED HD screen and when photo one is small i get what mmaria said, but when i enlarged the image, wow it really looked good awesome in fact
with image 2 i found that to be under exposed image 3 i also like over all good job

Hmm that's really interesting to know, I have to look at that image from a few other screens. I wonder why the combination seems to have that effect. Thanks for taking a look and the input!

Not a fan of the first two. Too dark and my eyes wander. The last one is definitely a keeper.

You know I think I missed the mark by a lot in the middle one. I really wanted to try something different and see how far I could push the shadows, but think you're right it's just not working.

You know I think I missed the mark by a lot in the middle one. I really wanted to try something different and see how far I could push the shadows, but think you're right it's just not working.

Man, I'm going against the tide here but I think that #2 is really terrific.

#3 the hat competes with his face,
#1 ok but not the intensity of #2.

If he's an actor, #1 and #2 would really, really work for him, imho.

I think number two can be saved.

Maybe try to convert to B&W and bump the exposure up.

I think it would be a nice image then.

But, I'm a sucker for black and white.

Man, I'm going against the tide here but I think that #2 is really terrific.

#3 the hat competes with his face,
#1 ok but not the intensity of #2.

If he's an actor, #1 and #2 would really, really work for him, imho.

Oh man, thanks! I'm just thinking out loud as to #2...I feel like I like the shadows but not how it takes away his eyes. What do you think...like if I somehow bounced some catch lights in there...give it a little life.

#1 Outstanding!
#2 not so much
#3 good, but could be better in portrait format

Most reactions

New Topics

Back