Portrait of my sister C&C

The background seems really blown out. Did you consider your background when metering? Bright sunny days are murder for exposure.

That, and it looks like you took her by surprise........

Exposure, composition etc....look pretty good. I don't think you need quite so much space (background) behind her (on the right side) but it doesn't kill the shot.

However, her expression does sort of kill the shot. It's like she's saying 'why the heck are you pointing that camera at me?".
It's not necessary to have a smile in every shot for it to be good...but I don't think her expression here works.

Now, take into account that I don't know her. Maybe she always looks like that...or maybe she's usually sulking and this is close to a smile for her...I don't know. That's part of the challenge when shooting someone you know so well...it may mean something to you but it may not come across to others. That's perfectly OK if the shot will end up in a family photo album or on your/her facebook account. But when looking for outside feedback...it probably won't have the same impact on other people...whereas, if the expression had been 'better', I'd think that more people would be likely to like it.

But as it is, I think you did a pretty good job on the exposure. It's strongly back/top lit but you have great exposure on her face and even though parts of the hair are blown out, there is still plenty of hair that isn't.

I really like the edit you did imagemaker46 so I thought I would give it a try.

jayjay again by marissa.k1995, on Flickr

I think it looks better then before. I actually wanted her to do that look on her face lol but It probably could of looked better with a smile or maybe not as surprised. It sucks how the background was so blown out, I will just have to try harder with her next portrait.

i like it. crop it a bit on the right. and make it a bit darker. yeah the back does kinda look really faded. Keep in to account how bright the picture looks when taking it outside.
But overall thumbs up. Post some more so we can see what else you got.

The only way your going to get her exposed, and the background in those conditions is with fill flash or a reflector

Her expression looks like you were behind her, yelled "HEY JELENA!"... she spun around about to ask "What?" and you snapped a picture.

Most reactions

Back