Portrait Photo Question

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a quick question, I'm going to be shooting a photo of a woman at work, it's going to be a head shot of her and I have a question about lighting.

I dont have any softboxes or photo studio lighting so I was just going to take her into a well-lit room and put her near a window and maybe have a reflector on the other side of her to bounce light on the side of her face that's not near the window. Does this sound like a good solution for the lighting?

Also, she needs to be on a black backgound, but she will be wearing a black business suit so I'm worried that her body will just blend into the background. Is there any way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back lighting can create seperation between a subject and a back ground.

Other than that is having her far enough from the background so the background is properly exposed as black and her clothes are slightly over exposed to have a gray look to them.

Make sure you meter on her, and not the black that is all around.

Thanks for the tip, I'm just not sure how to backlight her since I have no studio lights or anything.

Also, I know I am supposed to focus on the eyes, but as far as the metering goes, should I read her face and go by my camera's light meter?

Do you have a flash of any sort? Not studio lighting, just a flash ( preferably one with adjustable power and off camera ability ), because you could try firing that at the background and see if that would help.

I have an SB800 Speedlite coming but I don't think it will be here in time for the photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back